Photo
- - - - - 6 replies to this topic

My Summer Writing/Game Project

• Please log in to reply

Poll: Summer Project (4 member(s) have cast votes)

What kind of PvP game do you think I should make?

1. Tactical RPG (like Fire Emblem, etc) (3 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. Card game (like Yugioh, etc) (2 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. Other (discuss in thread) (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. Don't mind (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

To what extent are you interested in the story?

1. I can give an idea or two about where I'd like to see the story go. (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. I can think of a character for you to use. (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. I will probably just read the story. (3 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

4. I probably won't actually read the story, but best of luck man. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5509 posts 426.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:27 PM

Hey guys!

In the past couple of years, I've done absolutely nothing during my 3-4 months off of university. Of course it's important to rest and recover too, so I don't have any regrets about that, but I know that I want to have a much more productive summer holiday this time around. I've already agreed with my brother that we will produce some music and learn how to make a basic sidescrolling arcade game together. So that's already two things I'm excited about. But I still want to do a bit more... And that's writing a story - with a game to go with it.

My inspiration came from playing Fire Emblem: Heroes on the mobile. It's currently a PvE game only, and I've been thinking of ways to make PvP viable and have considered making it a thing for others to enjoy. However, I don't know all the game mechanics, so I don't think I'd have much hope. But it did give me an idea.

I still want to write a story, as mentioned in my status here. It could be anything, but I'm thinking of something magical. And then I would make a strategy game to go with it, where you can battle against other players. Whether other people play or not isn't an issue. But it would be a great experience - and a really fun one.

So, if you have any ideas of what you'd like to see, discuss it with me here. I'll take every idea seriously, and to be honest, I don't have many myself, so it would help me loads. I'll make a poll to this thread to get an idea of what to expect, because I know it's much less effort for you guys to vote in the poll. It'll be anonymous, so please be honest.

My last exam this year is on June 1, so I will get started shortly after. 

Looking forward to planning and making this!

#2 Exarion Team XC Pretty Face 5158 posts 202.00 XCB

Exarion
  • Interests:Just let me sleep.

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:17 PM

I could try to stick with your project, bro!

On an unrelated note, happy 10th XC anniversary!

#3 bobandjim Oldies Needs a life 939 posts 108.00 XCB

bobandjim

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:49 PM

Good luck.  I'm excited to see how it goes

#4 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5509 posts 426.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:01 AM

Thanks guys! Great to hear. Honestly just knowing that I have a public place to put the story is everything. It's so much easier to write when you know someone else could read it.

On an unrelated note, happy 10th XC anniversary!

Woah, no way! I knew it was creeping up, but didn't realise it was already here. That's so awesome... I've been on XC for half my life now. Crazy.

#5 Hypermaster117 Oldies WABIT SEASON 2117 posts 265.00 XCB

Hypermaster117
  • Interests:Anime, YGO, Vanguard, LoL

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:26 AM

I'd be up to read this in my spare time. Can't say I can provide any good ideas.

#6 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5509 posts 426.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:08 PM

It's been two months. How about an update? Where am I at with the story, and where am I at with the game? The game will be a trading card game, by the way.

Story Update

My current plan is to write 10 chapters - not too long - to give a flavour of the world of the game. Unlike when I made Yugioh 36DDs - which wasn't planned out well at all - I'm planning each chapter before I start writing and releasing any. This should give a better flow to the story, at the cost of a later release date. Honestly at the moment I've only managed 2 chapters. Got a bit of writer's block. Maybe I should try and write the final chapter next, so I know what to work towards. Regardless, I'm pretty excited about the world and characters I've created. Can't wait to post them.

Estimated date for Chapter 1: late August

Estimated date for Chapter 10: late September

Game Update

As mentioned above, I've gone for a card game. It's got some of my favourite mechanics from games from all different kinds of genres and I think they really work well together - and the game represents the story well too. The mechanics of the game is complete, but I haven't created all the cards. If I post the rules to the game, you guys can give your own ideas for cards too. So I'll do that soon. 

My project wasn't just about creating a game at all, but it was specifically a video game. So I've been doing Unity tutorials for the past two months, and I'm actually getting there. Now that the mechanics are done, I could technically start building the game, although since the game is going to take a long time, I want to focus on finishing up the story. My biggest worries for the game is animations and art. I'm not a good artist, so I don't even know how I'm going to get artwork for each monster, but I said I'd make a game so I'll use placeholders if I have to. The game will still function.

Estimated date for game to be started: late August

Estimated date for game to be completed: next year for sure

I'm taking about two weeks off as I have exam retakes which are mid August, but I'll be resuming once they're done. I think that's about it. If I remember something in particular I'll post again later.

#7 Exarion Team XC Pretty Face 5158 posts 202.00 XCB

Exarion
  • Interests:Just let me sleep.

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:05 AM

Creating the card game videogame along with the story?! That's awesome!

Can't wait to follow your progress (and contribute when possible). ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users