Photo
- - - - - 19 replies to this topic

Gerdat's Ice Type run for Pokemon Sun!

• Please log in to reply

#1 Gerdat14 Oldies Some Dude 2690 posts 159.00 XCB

Gerdat14
  • Interests:Dueling with YVD and playing illegal games with my blanket.. don't ask...

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:55 PM

Yup, finally got my brother completely setup with his Dragon run. Had to SoS farm a dragon scale for later. Anywho...

Welcome to the Thread where I will post semi Frequent updates to the next Challenge run I'll be doing in a Pokemon Game. This time, just like it says in the stupid title, I'll be doing an Ice-Type run. Not mono ice, since that might not actually be possible ( I think Sun only get's like 2 pure ice types, and one is a weather SoS only spawn that i couldn't find because the hailstorm wouldn't spawn,)

Yes, I'm running through Pokemon Sun. In the event you want to join me which I do encourage, you'll need a few things. First, you'll need at least 2 copies of Pokemon Sun or Pokemon moon and 2 3ds systems. This is because Pokemon Bank is enabled for Sun and Moon until January, and Sun and Moon cannot connect to ORAS or X and Y. Thankfully, I had a brother who also wanted to do a type run, so Transfers were easy on us.

Second, for the purposes of familiarity and the fact that getting a full team is just plain easier during the post game, you'll need to have gone all the way through the Elitle Four at least once. Again, this is just so it's easy to get any of the pokemon you end up deciding you want on your team... assuming they are available in the first place. (Theres only like 400 pokemon actually available out of the 800+ we have now, with PokeBank still disabled.)

Third, Cody and I are doing type runs, where all of our pokemon have or will have the desired type by the end of the game. Which is why i needed a Dragon scale, he's going to be using Kingdra. I would suggest that if this is your first challenge run, Pick a type you either really like, or a type that has pokemon with a lot of Coverage. Honestly, Steel and Normal are both good ways to go.

Fourth...wait, I don't think I need a fourth rule. Mostly, just have some fun and try out some stuff you really never would think of. Dark and Fairy runs sound interesting, given how difficult it might be to set up a fairy team right now.

And so, after unlocking the Trainser school, I was finally able to trade out my entire team of cast offs for the new team! And here they are!

Shellder

(Nickname: Chesnaught)
Level: 1

Tackle and Water Gun. With Shell Armor.

I have never run a Cloyster before, and I don't like running tanks in general. However, there are so few Ice Types available that I had to get either him or Spheal/Swinub. And both of those are Island Scan only. Went for ease of access.

Sneasel

(Nickname: Fave)

Level 1

Scratch, Leer, Taunt, and Punishment. With Inner Focus.

Sneasel is without a doubt my favorite pokemon ever, and the reason whhy I went for Ice Type. I've never gotten a chance to have a Sneasel on my team from the get go, aside from like a Fire Red randomizer from a year ago. Hoping he can show off just how awesome he is.

Snorunt

(Nickname: Houndoom)

Level 1

Powder Snow and Leer. And Inner Focus.

Snorunt is here so i can eventually get Frolass and try to sweep ghost type teams with Hail backed Shadow Balls. Don't know who my hail starter will be quite yet, but I think I'll want it on someone a bit later on the list.

Vanillite

(Nickname: Characters I think are Japanese but probably are not)

Level 1

Icicle Spear. And Ice Body.

I'm really hoping that I can use Vanilluxe as a secondary sweeper, but having never used her before, I'll end up asking for a lot of help with her. At least she's got 6 in every stat except hp...

Vulpix

(Nickname: Klinklang)

Level 1

Powder Snow. And Snow Cloak.

Look, Alolan Ninetails is freaking Beautiful. And to be honest, I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a fairy type for Nanu so Sableye doesn't totally wreck me. Oh, and Kimono-o.

Lapras

...Lapras

Level 1

Sing, Growl, and Water Gun. And Water Absorb.

I've always liked Lapras, but she's always been too much of a tank for me to get behind using her. However, she gets an amazing spread of moves both for Sweeping and Supporting, so maybe i can use that with her huge tanikiness to wipe teams off the boat? Or whatever analogy I was going for?

And there ya go, The Ice-Type team I'll be running through the game with. Perhaps after this run, I'll do a wonder trade run and try to get all 100 Zygarde Cells. I don't know yet. I'm still super behind on Spyro editing...

Be safe, people. 

#2 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5530 posts 434.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:34 PM

I love Cloyster, it's one of my favourite pokemon - because Skill Link is my second favourite ability in the whole game - although you didn't go for that anyway.

I actually have a Swinub that I scanned, could trade you if you want. Could trade a weak Crabominable too.

Enjoy! Looks like a challenge as there's a fighting, fire and rock trial. Good luck.

#3 Gerdat14 Oldies Some Dude 2690 posts 159.00 XCB

Gerdat14
  • Interests:Dueling with YVD and playing illegal games with my blanket.. don't ask...

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:18 AM

Aaand Hala is down. He ate 3 of my revives, and the only reason I won was because of Shellder's really high defense and Icicle Spear. That Mankey though... Does Karate shop always go critical under Focus energy? Ouch... Anyway, Team line up is as follows:

Alolan Vulpix

Level 16
Powder Snow, Confuse Ray, Icy Wind, and Baby-Doll Eyes.

Currently, she's my lead because of the fact that she can once shot most flying and grass types right now. However, since she doesn't get Fairy typing until after she evolves into ninetails, she get's one shot by Mankeys. Is sad.

Sneasel

Level 17
Brick Break, False Swipe, Icy Wind, and Faint Attack.

Still love this pokemon, although I'm a bit sad that he's going to have to get his own Razor Claw. No one else on my team can learn False swipe. Oh, and Brick Break made the Totem fight a joke. Yes, Vulpix didn't survive, but she got Gumshoos down to half and Sneasel finished both him and the Yungoose off with Brick Break.

Snorunt

Level 15

Powder Snow, Icy Wind, Double Team, and Ice Shard.

I wish he had like 5 more speed in place of his oddly higher physical attack stat. Since he doesn't, I've got her holding the Quick Slaw for a while.

Vanillite

Level 14

Icicle Spear, Icy Wind, Astonish, and Uproar.

Still has not seen the battlefield. I'm actually terrified to try to use her as she learned harden early on, and defense is her worst stat. It is scary...

Shellder

Level 14

Tackle, Water Gun, Withdraw, and Icicle Spear.

Shell Armor is freaking amazing. After two withdraws, Shellder took 1 (or 3) damage per hit from Makuhita's arm thrust, so I just kept him out there healing him with potions if needed. Took about 5-6 minutes, since i was at -6 accuracy the whole time thanks to sand attack, but he toughed it out and took down Makuhita just fine. 

Lapras

Level 13

Sing, Water Gun, Ice Shard, and Confuse Ray.

Confuse or freeze, baby. Freeze is clearly the winner when it comes to catching, but confuse is the best ailment in battle to me. Having 2 sources of Confuse ray should make later game Trials interesting. Like Lurantis and Mimikyu.

So yeah. I'm spending more money on healing items, but that's partially because I want to try to stay on level this time instead of being 5 levels above everyone all the time. Crazy, I know. Next update will probably be after Marowak, where we see if Vulpix does not die to venoshock. Spoilers, she almost certainly does.

#4 Gerdat14 Oldies Some Dude 2690 posts 159.00 XCB

Gerdat14

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:56 PM

Okay then! Salazzle went down MUCH easier this time, but I'm having a hard time keeping my levels down. Partially because i THOUGHT Salazzle was a 23 encounter, but no, she's a 22. Oh, and Wishiwashi was a joke, too. Why does he have soak and why would he use it?!?

Team is as follows:

Lapras

Level 23

Body Slam, Rain Dance, Water Pulse, and Confuse Ray.

I love using Lapras as a way to set up statuses. Confuse and paralyze are awesome statuses to have on hand, and Paralyze helped a bit against Wishiwashi. Also, she one shot Salazzle after setting up rain dance, and then water pulsed the Salandit to death. Was nice.

Alolan Vulpix

Level 24

Powder Snow, Confuse Ray, Icy Wind, and Faint Attack.

She's the first one to get to 5 affinity, and we all know how disgustingly broken that is. I want to get Lapras and Sneasel to 5 next, so i have half a team ready for sweeping eventually. Also, She does backflips in refresh, and they are amazing.

Snorunt

Level 22

Bite, Icy Wind, Double Team, and Ice Shard.

Does Sassy give a boost to physical attack, because I don't understand why Snorunt's ATK is 2 points higher than his Special Attack. It is weird...

Vanilite

Level 22

Icicle Spear, Icy Wind, Avalanche, and Uproar. 

Speaking of weird stuff, why dos Vanilite learn harden and uproar at all? I mean, it's a good support move and a decent special attack, but without refrigerate, I don't see it making any sense in singles. 

Shellder

Level 21

Protect, Water Gun, Withdraw, and Icicle Spear.

Not seeing a lot of use aside from the makuhita fight, but the hope is still strong we can use cloyster for awesome things later. Although Lapras is already showing off how awesome a tank she can be.

Sneasel

Level 27

Brick Break, False Swipe, Metal Claw, and Faint Attack.

Now, if only I can get Ice Punch on her, Fave will be all set for the rest of the game. Well, ice punch and Crunch, but she can't learn crunch, because Game Freak hates this line.

I'm having problems keeping my leaders down, actually. I know that exp rates in the mid game get really slow, but getting to the mid game, my levels are going a bit too fast. I can't even get decent EVs for my team on wild pokemon before I'm like two levels too high for the area. Oh well. Next update should be after the Olivia fight. Which either Sneasel or Lapras will likely carry me through.

#5 Gerdat14 Oldies Some Dude 2690 posts 159.00 XCB

Gerdat14

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:38 AM

Alright then. Olivia is down, and Fuck Totem Lurantis. Finally got my first Evo off too, and am sitting in Aether Paradise waiting on Nihilego to show up.

Cloyster (yay!)

Level 27

Protect, Water Gun, Withdraw, and Icicle Spear.

Finally got to use her quite a bit, mostly for grinding on Zubats and Digletts, though. Mystic Water is still great, and I REALLY wish I had held out to Skill Link. Oh well.

Alolan Vulpix

Level 28

Aurora Beam, Confuse Ray, Hex, and Feint Attack.

Still waiting on the Icy Stone, since I can't buy Dawn or Icy Stones from Olivia's Shop. Got her holding a Scope Lens for gambling on sweeps.

Snorunt

Level 28

Bite, Icy Wind, Double Team, and Ice Fang.

Not a lot of use from her this time. She did help against Lurantis a bit though, which was nice.

Lapras

Level 28

Body Slam, Rain Dance, Water Pulse, and Perish Song (yay!)

Loving having Lapras with Waterium Z. Can't wait to try to use Perish song sweeps on things that's I'm scared of. Like Vikavolt, maybe?

Vanilish

Level 26

Icicle Spear, Icy Wind, Avalanche, and Mirror Shot.

Why are the weather TMs 50k? Since I don't have the Amulet coin yet, I can't possibly afford those for a long time yet. And I kinda need Hail by the time i get to the Elite Four...

Sneasel

Level 31

Brick Break, False Swipe, Metal Claw, and Thief.

I just can't keep her level down. Can't do it man! Really hoping that I can get some Mystic water's from Lapras farming later, since I still need one more.

As a back and forth on Facebook mentioned, The totem fights are fine if you prepare for them correctly. So when I say "Fuck Totem Lurantis", what I really mean is, "Damnit, I wish I had a flying type move for a Fire Type to use..." I had no problems during my run with Rowlet, since Dartrix got Pluck before the fight.

Next update should be... Nanu? I think? No! it's Acerola. Since next is Vikavolt, and then Mimikyu. Perish Song, away! 

#6 Gerdat14 Oldies Some Dude 2690 posts 159.00 XCB

Gerdat14

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:32 AM

Okay, Perish Song is awesome, and Mimikyu is down. I do love how Mimikyu is able to host a trial all on it's own. Super Natural Ultra Totem Powers ahoy!

Team is as follows:

Alolan Vulpix

Level 36

Ice Beam (yay!), Confuse Ray, Hex, and Extrasensory.

She's in the lead right now because Extrasensory  can one shot the haunter and gastly trial pieces, and she did. However, she got one shot by Mimikyu's Play Rough. Stupid bonus stats...

Vanillish

Level 34

Icicle Spear, Icy Wind, Avalanche, and Mirror Shot.

I'm trying to use her more, but mostly so i can get Vanillite soon, since I can't get Froslass until the end of the damn game. I failed to remember that.

Lapras

Level 36

Ice Beam (yay!), Rain Dance, Water Pulse, and Perish Song.

To explain, Perish Song can take down ALL of the totem trials. ALL OF THEM. Lapras is fast enough to outspeed most of the totem trials if she's 1 or 2 levels above, so I just need to break through the gimmick, have my lead switch out or faint, then have lapras use Perish Song. I'm only really worried about Kimono-o right now, but I don't remember what Clanging Scales type is. Probably dragon, If cody is to be believed.

Snorunt

Level 36

Bite, Icy Wind, Double Team, and Ice Fang.

Sad that I won't be getting Froslass now, but at least Snorunt is still decent. She'll probably be the one I use to set up Hail. Her or Cloyster, I don't know which yet.

Cloyster

Level 35

Protect, Water Gun, Spikes, and Icicle Spear.

Yay! I got Spikes! Just need Ice Beam and Scald now, and I should have Cloyster fully set up for TM slaving.

Sneasel

Level 39

I wish I could keep your level down, Sneasel. It's my only complaint so far with the run. I'm skipping trainers, running from battles, haven't had you as lead for hours, and yet you are STILL 6 levels ahead of the game. Why must you do this?!?

Alright, next update will be Nanu, since Guzma may as well be the next trial on the island. Be safe, persons.

#7 Gerdat14 Oldies Some Dude 2690 posts 159.00 XCB

Gerdat14

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:33 PM

Aaand Nanu is down, and I'm at Aether Paradise just off the boat.I thought Guzma was supposed to have 3 pokemon at this point, but nope. Only 2. Anyway!

Team is as follows

Alolan Ninetails (Yay!)

Level 41

Ice Beam, Confuse Ray, Hex, and Dazzling Gleam (yay!)

Finally got the damn Ice Stone! Can someone tell me why it's located immediately after you can normally find Alolan Vulpix? I mean, it's convenient for the Pokedex, but it doesn't feel right. But with Her done, My team is almost fully evolved now. Just got three pokemon left, and I'll hate doing Sneasels...

Cloyster

Level 41

Poison Jab, Water Gun, Spikes, and Icicle Spear.

Honestly, I'm really starting to like Icicle Spear. It's not great, but it's usable and does decent enough against Golbats and the like. Definately should have sprung for Skill Link, though.

Vanillish

Level 40

Icicle Spear, Ice Beam, Avalanche, and Mirror Shot.

Finally Evolved the ice cream cone! Honestly, I've had almost no problems with him the whole run, aside from the mostly crappy learnset for level up.

Lapras

Level 40

Ice Beam, Rain Dance, Brine, and Perish Song.

Good thing Brine has a total of 5 more power over Water Pulse, or else Lapras wouldn't have changed at all during the update space. Such a good thing... yup.

Snorunt

Level 41

Crunch, Frost Breath, Double Team, and Ice Fang.

Still need you to evolve into Glalie, But I really like Frost Breath, so you can wait for a little bit longer I guess...

Sneasel

Level 43

I've got a bit of a problem where I don't know if I want to teach Sneasel Poison Jab over Metal Claw. Like, Poison Jab is a better move, can inflict a Status, and it still super effective against Fairies, But I'm sure no one I've got can learn venoshock, and a good portion of the Fairy types I'm worried about are Celfable, who is immune to poison damage anyway. What do you guys think?

So yeah, next update should be... either Hapu's fight or Kimono-os. Not sure really, Since I don't think Lusamine gives you a Z-crystal, nor does Wicke. Be safe, persons. 

#8 Gerdat14 Oldies Some Dude 2690 posts 159.00 XCB

Gerdat14

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:14 PM

So, Hapu is down, and I can get every Z-crystal that isn't the Ice one now. Yay... We are sitting at Seafolk village wishing that the HM sisters from Kanto showed up before we did the Kimono-o trial. Why do they not? It's just a level 45 double battle! PLEASE?!?

Team is as follows:

Vanillish

Level 46

Icicle Spear, Ice Beam, Hail, and Mirror Shot.

She actually did really well against Lusamine's Clefable. Which wasn't the only pokemon I should have been scared of, but it was. Having a proc on sand attack is very nice.

Cloyster

Level 48

Poison Jab, Water Gun, Spikes, and Icicle Spear.

So uh... none of my pokemon can learn Scald. I bothered to go get it on brooklet hill since I missed it, only to learn that not even Lapras, who get's almost every other type of attack in the game, can learn Scald. I am saaad.

Lapras

Level 47

Ice Beam, Rain Dance, Hydro Pump, and Perish Song.

This will likely be the ending set for Lapras, so that I can have a super powerful Z move on somebody. I would RATHER have scaled over Hydro pump. Or even better, SURF. But no, the game hates me and my plans.

Glalie

Level 49

Crunch, Frost Breath, Double Team, and Freeze-Dry (yay!).

So yeah, Dawn Stone is only available by defeating Guzma in the post game. Which I had done, but could have swore that you could acquire a Dawn Stone via the Flea Market. I was wrong, and am sad. Because Glalie has more physical attack than Special Attack. Because this run hates me.

Alolan Ninetails

Level 48

Ice Beam, Confuse Ray, Hex, and Dazzling Gleam.

Okay, does confuse ray actually trigger Hex, because I really don't think it does. I've tried it a few times, and while there might be a small damage increase, I'm now seeing a 130 damage attack coming from it. Sure, I don't have Stab, but it should be hurting things more than it is if confusion does proc it...

Sneasel

Level 50

I had the chance to learn Ice Shard, but passed it up. Sneasel usually comes in to finish off threats the others can't handle, so Psychic and rock types. At least her stat spread makes sense to me...

Alright, next update should be in a few days, since I need to do farming on Jangmo-os for Razor Claws and figure out how to evolve Vanillish. I hope it's not another stone evolution, and if it is, can it at least be a Shiny Stone? I can get one of those... 

#9 JinZ Ancient One The guy peeking through your window 4605 posts 17.00 XCB

JinZ

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:16 AM

I imagine you learned it soon after posting...but Vanillish evolves at level 47. >>

#10 Gerdat14 Oldies Some Dude 2690 posts 159.00 XCB

Gerdat14

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:37 AM

And i did learn that, and am now sitting just outside the elite four. Yay for me? Needed to do a little cleanup so i could get Night Slash though...

Team is as follows:

Fave, The Weavile

Level 60

Brick Break, False Swipe, Metal Claw, and Night Slash. With Pressure and holding the Expert Belt.

Despite having her as my highest level pokemon throughout most of the game, I don't feel as though I used her all that much. I still love sneasel though. Which Gen 4 didn't introduce Item evolutions on a clock...

Klinklnag, the Alolan Ninetails

Level 58

Ice Beam, Confuse Ray, Hex, and Dazzling Gleam. With Snow Cloak and holding a Scope Lens.

So, why is Special Defense the primary stat for Alolan Ninetails? I feel jipped, honestly. Here I was, hoping to build a Sweeper out of the Gorgeous new Ninetails form... and she's a speedy tank. WHY?!?

Chesnaught, the Cloyster

Level 56

Poison Jab, Water Gun (yes, really), Spikes, and Ice Beam. With Shell Armor and holding a Mystic Water.

So, Cloyster has immense physical defense, and almost nothing else of value. Spikes is awesome, typing is fine until you remember that Electric is a thing, and it's ease of access is also good. So why does it learn no decent water moves?!? Yes, it can learn surf, but only after the elite four, because the HM sisters don't show up until after the elite four! Basterds...

Houndoom, the Glalie

Level 60

Crunch, Ice Beam, Double Team, and Freeze-Dry. With Inner Focus and holding a Never-Melt Ice.

Freeze Dry is awesome, but once again, I have to ask about the Stat Spread. It's not so severe in this case, but Glalie is trying to be Mixed Phyical user. Defenses better that it's offenses by a decent amount, and Specail Attack being his worst stat. What is up with these stat spreads?

Lapras, the Lapras

Level 56

Ice Beam, Rain Dance, Hydro Pump, and Perish Song. With Water Absorb and holding a Waterium Z.

I wish Hydro pump could be replaced by Surf. I'd happily lose the 20 base power for 100 accuracy. I'm hoping to land a Perish Song on someone at least once during the trek through, but since Lapras is my slowest pokemon, I might not get there. I'll probably just have to sweep Olivia with her. Wish I had some Leppa Berries...

Vanilluxe, the Vanilluxe

Level 58

Blizzard, Ice Beam, Hail, and Mirror Shot. With Ice Body and holding the other Never-Melt Ice.

Aside from Attack, Vanilluxe's stat spread makes sense! Focus on Special Attack, with speed being third highest (although I would prefer it to be first or second highest). To be honest, I barely used Vanilluxe throughout the playthrough as well. 

But yeah, needed to get a heart scale to grab Night Slash, because all of Weavile's good level up moves happen before 50. Meaning if you want a Weavile without heart scales to do well, you need to grind a Razor claw before Kommo-o's trial, catch a level 45 or under (preferably under) Sneasel AT NIGHT, and level it up during the rest of the trek upto the pokemon league/ during the fight with Hau. That is nutso.

I'm a bit concerned on how well I'm going to do during the Elite Four. I'm planning on leading with Cloyster just to set up spikes, but after that, no ideas. Hopefully Weavile can carry me through, and if not, I'll try to finish grabbing the rest of my EV's in Speed and Special Attack. Speed is easy enough, but Special Attack is a nightmere. Like, the only canidates for Sp.A are Magnemite and Finneon. Tis Lame...

#11 RiverShock Ancient One XC's Official Setmaker 4592 posts 86.00 XCB

RiverShock

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:07 PM

If you had waited until Level 32 to evolve Shellder it would've learned Razor Shell. ;p

Ninetales' stat spread is the same as it always has been. (The only difference Alolan Ninetales makes is dropping a little physical Attack for some Speed.)

Glalie's base stats are all identical. Any differences are down to nature, IVs and EVs.

#12 Gerdat14 Oldies Some Dude 2690 posts 159.00 XCB

Gerdat14

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:07 PM

Aaand Kukui is down! Yay! I was so worried about Incineroar, but after spikes, Hydro Vortex killed him. Was odd...

Team is as follows:

Cloyster

Level 58

Water Gun, Poison Jab, Spikes, and Ice Beam. Holding Mystic Water with Shell Armor.

Setting up spikes on everyone except Flying type leader who I can never remember her name was important. However, the Low Special Defense got her killed almost immediately every time. I really wish I would of held out for Skill link and some more Heart Scales, since Attack EVs are so easy to get. 

Weavile

Level 65

Brick Break, False Swipe, Metal Claw, and Night Slash. Holding Expert Belt with Pressure.

I love the Expert Belt. It is so awesome. Like, it's pretty much like having all of the 10% items on at once. However, Bewear is tanky and scary. Do not fight Bewear with Weavile. Don't. Ever. At all. Please.

Alolan Ninetails

Level 62

Ice Beam, Confuse Ray, Hex, and Dazzling Gleam. Holding Scope Lens with Snow Cloak.

I didn't ever get to use Snow Cloak, and I don't know where the 10% fairy item is. Does anyone know WHAT the 10% Fairy item is? I don't recall ever seeing one.

Glalie

Level 63

Crunch, Ice Beam, Double Team, and Freeze-Dry. Holding Never-Melt Ice with Inner Focus.

Can Glalie get revamped in gen 7.5 then? Cuz I feel it would be a better pokemon with 10 less base hp and 10 more Special Attack or Speed. Since you can't get Frolass until after the Elite Four, you cheating Basterd Acerola! I'll find you and stab your ghost heart out of your Dhelmises body! I WILL!!

Lapras

Level 59

Ice Beam, Rain Dance, Hydro Pump, and Perish Song. Holding Waterium Z with Water Absorb.

How is Lapras, the bulky Water/Ice Wall of support godliness FASTER THAN INCINDEROAR?!? HOW?!? I could have swore that Incideroar was faster than ALL of my pokemon in my first run, and although I didn't have any real speedy pokemon, I did have like 3-5 levels on him with everyone, and still he was faster! This confuses me, so much.

Vanilluxe

Level 61

Blizzard, Ice Beam, Hail, and Mirror Shot. Holding Never-Melt Ice with Ice Body.

I forget. Does Hail increase the likely hood of freeze sticking? I don't think it does, but honestly, if we aren't going to give a damage increase to it or at least a flat defense bonus like sandstorm has, it will always be the worst weather condition. Which is sad, because we have almost as many abilities focused on hail as we do for Sandstorm. Very sad indeed.

Okay, overall, the hardest part was Olivia and her Relicanth. Hala's Bewear was also a pain, but mostly because his Crabominable survived a dazzling gleam and then one shot my Ninetails. But Olivia's relicanth with Ancientpower, that is a tanky sweeper that I had some serious problems with. But really, nothing else was that bad. I thought Probopass would reverse sweep me, but nope, Glalie took him down with a few Crunches. I do love how powerful Hala's Bewear is though. Good thing i bought Revival Herbs.

So, the last main thing I need to do is the versus match with my brother, who is currently in Aether trying to rescue Cosmog from Lusamine and Guzma. After that, I'll probably try to set up a Wonder Trade run. Do you guys have any thoughts on the run, maybe you want to do a Type run for yourselves? This is supposed to be a convo thread, so please post.

Be safe, persons. 

#13 Yami Stomach Oldies Wut 9469 posts 691.00 XCB

Yami Stomach
  • Interests:Who gives a shit.

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:26 PM

pixie plate is all i can think of i dont think fairy types ever got an item like miracle seed mystic water charcoal hard stone, soft sand, nevermeltice etc etc etc

you can buy it from the Antique shop in the mall of Hau'oli city

#14 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5530 posts 434.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:17 PM

I'd definitely do a type run for the best type in the world: Steel. However, I'm not a fan of resetting my games - I've only ever reset Pokemon White once and that was this year. I may do it for the next game in the generation.

Speaking of which... Everyone has a favourite type, right? Would anyone be up for a Pokemon Showdown tournament where we each pick one type? Kinda as if we were gym leaders/elite 4? Every type has a bunch of coverage, so even though a Ground trainer should lose to a Grass trainer, pokemon like Nidoking, Mamoswine, etc could help keep them in check. Maybe we could even allow one legendary (even if it's Uber) to spice things up a bit. If you're interested speak up. Or maybe just in a regular tournament.

Also after looking it up, Lapras and Incineroar both have base 60 speed, so yeah your speeds would have been very close. I guess the professor doesn't have time to IV/EV train? If he did he definitely would have outsped your Lapras.

#15 Gerdat14 Oldies Some Dude 2690 posts 159.00 XCB

Gerdat14

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:58 PM

I'd be up for the tourney Idea, but I'd request a ban on Electric for it. Electric only has one weakness, although that's usually negated by having sub-par defensive stats. I'd definitely do Ice as my type though. Just wish Sneasel was actually better than Weavile...

#16 kyros27 Oldies Spewer of over 4000 Posts! 4559 posts 186.00 XCB

kyros27

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:10 PM

I've never felt electric was one of the stronger types so I'd argue against that ban.  Also, allowing an uber legendary on teams would be kinda iffy.

#17 Gerdat14 Oldies Some Dude 2690 posts 159.00 XCB

Gerdat14

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:28 PM

Well, where do forums place Xurkitree? cuz he is awesome, and aside from his glass canon stats, I'd love to run a team focused on him.

#18 RiverShock Ancient One XC's Official Setmaker 4592 posts 86.00 XCB

RiverShock

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:49 PM

Electric is pretty bad in mono-type. It doesn't have a lot of type diversity, moveset diversity, and has very few resistances. You'll find that the more varied types like Flying, Poison and Water tend to end up being the best types. (Probably Fairy now, too, thanks to the Tapus...) I'd suggest banning Megas, however. They're not very well distributed among the types.

Xurkitree is one of the worst Ultra Beasts, so it should be fine. ;p From what I've seen, Pheromosa is probably going to be Uber'd as soon as Sun/Moon Pokemon beyond the obvious Lunala/Solgaleo/Complete Zygarde get Uber'd. I wouldn't be too surprised if it was the only one that is. Maybe Kartana I suppose. Celesteela is everywhere, but I doubt it'll get banned. (Maybe it will, who knows.) The rest are pretty fair, even if some like Xurkitree and Buzzwole can be painful.

As for the tournament itself... Eh, maybe I'd enter it. I haven't used Showdown in years, and much, much prefer the actual games, but eh. Depends how much interest there is I guess.

#19 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5530 posts 434.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:04 PM

Well, we got three people - and most tournaments need four :D

Also, I too prefer the actual games but until I get my 6IV ditto from pokebank I don't intend to level up my pokemon. I've been EV training them in the Poke Pelago because it's really nice to not have to do anything and suddenly 18 pokemon are fully EV trained. But to level them up to evolution for online battles takes time and if I'm going to take that time I'd rather do it on 5IV pokemon. Aside from that - again, until Pokebank comes out, the Pokemon we're able to use is really limited, so Showdown would allow us to use other pokemon without us having to wait a month. Unless of course, this is a Gen VI tournament, in which case everything changes, and I'd be down for that too. 

Also maybe everyone can pick two types to choose from.. Because let's say if person A picks Fire, person B picks Rock and person C picks Steel, I wouldn't be surprised to see person D pick Ground. Although I'd hope everyone just uses their favourite types.

Not sure about the logistics on this one. Any ideas guys?

#20 RiverShock Ancient One XC's Official Setmaker 4592 posts 86.00 XCB

RiverShock

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:51 PM

Well, if Gerdat's picking Ice, I'll probably not be picking my favourite type. ;p (Considering that's also Ice.) That being said, I'd probably have deliberately picked one of the hardest types from the outset anyway. (Admittedly, though, Ice is one of them.)

Personally, I think mono-type is fine. Part of the charm is coming up with ways to deal with your weaknesses. It makes some Pokemon (Drapion is a huge example) much, much more valuable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users