Photo
* * * * - 1 votes 4 replies to this topic

Book of the Week

• Please log in to reply

#1 Tobias Colt Ancient One Fiction is the Truth inside the Lie 74 posts 6.00 XCB

Tobias Colt
  • Interests:Writing, Reading, Pokemon and LoL

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:22 PM

Well, someone didn't want me to start this at all lol. After a bunch of mishaps, it's finally here. The moment the both of you have been waiting for!
The book of the week! I'll post them each Sunday evening I think. Might even do them bi-daily lol.

AssassinsApprentice-UK-187x300.jpg

Robin Hobb

Assassin's Apprentice

Book 1: The Farseer Trilogy

April 1st 1995

Fantasy

This book is one of the best books I have ever had the pleasure of reading. It's the first book of it's series and starts off with the main character writing about the history of the Six Duchies (The Kingdom in which he lives).

After he tells his short tale, it follows the main character (FitzChivalry), as a child of 6 years. He is the bastard of King-In-Waiting, Chivalry Farseer. The story follows the boy as he goes about his chores and life among the Castle folk. He is visited by the King's assassin and told that he must practice this art too, to protect his King and the Kingdom. Keep in mind, the boy is only 6. He is treated rather badly by most of te keep, for being a bastard of the future king. While some wish him dead, he still has a friend in the Stable Master, Burrich and Chivalry's brother, Prince Verity. 

The entire book is from the view of FitzChivalry, Hobb has done an amazing job at making people care about Fitz..but also about the people inthe book who care for Fitz as well, even though there isn't much told about these characters, except that which fitz remembers or notes.

Early on we learn that Fitz can master one of the two magics introduced in the book called "The Wit". Where he can speak to certain animals using his mind and can "bond" to said animals. The people of the Six Duchies consider the Wit to be dirty magic and some would see you killed if you were caught using it or having it. 

The second magic is called the Skill and it's a magic that the Royal family possesses. This magic is considered the good magic. 

Being the first of a very long series, it starts out a bit slow. But if you break through the first 30-60 pages, you will enjoy every bit of it. Assuming Fantasy is something you enjoy reading. 

Edited by Tobias Colt, 31 July 2016 - 10:39 PM.

#2 Tobias Colt Ancient One Fiction is the Truth inside the Lie 74 posts 6.00 XCB

Tobias Colt

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:37 PM

Doesn't seem like it's busy enough in this forum for me to make separate posts for each Book of the week. So I'm just going to post them all in this topic. I did a kind of review on Assassin's Apprentice..but I'm not sure there's a point in doing an in-depth review. So I'll switch it up a bit and give a short synopsis of why I enjoyed it and why you might as well. It wasn't too bad in a series of books because you can't spoil much out of them in the way I was writing. But in stand alone books.. it may be more difficult. 
For this week, we are heading into the land of..the Paranormal? I don't classify this next book as horror, even though the author is apparently the king of Horror.
It took me awhile to decide what to post about next. I wanted to have something other than Fantasy on my list of books to write about. Fantasy is my favourite genre and it's the genre that I am writing in with my current Work-in-Progress. But I will always be a fan of Stephen King, more specifically: Bag of Bones.

220px-Bagofbones.gif

Stephen King

Bag of Bones

September 22 1998

Gothic Fiction (They changed it from horror, finally)

This is actually one of my favourites by Stephen King. Partly because the main character, Mike Noonan, is battling with a strong case of Writer's Block. He has a few books that he pre-wrote stacked in a safe for times like these..but that stack starts to disappear. The other reason I think I enjoy it so much is that..Mike finds himself in a bit of a..condundrum? Within the first page or two of the book, his wife dies, this is what sends him into his bout of Writer's block. This block lasts for a couple of years and begins to give him horrible nightmares about his old lakeside house. The dreams get worse and he finally decides to face his fear of the house and drive down.  He gets more than he bargained for though, because when he arrives he notices that his lakeside house may not only be occupied by him. And that this town he's in.. has a dark secret, one that he must do everything he can to stop. 

On his way to Sara Laughs ( I admit, I forget why it's called this..lol) he sees a little girl walking in the middle of the road, he stops to ask her where her parents are and why she's in the street when her mother drives up in a panic. They talk for a bit and they both go their own ways..a spark appears in Mike's chest and this is where the story really begins....

#3 Draigon Ancient One xbox gamertag: MixedBerries 2829 posts 15.00 XCB

Draigon
  • Interests:Writing, reading, singing, pretending I can dance... Actually, pretending I can sing too ha-ha!

twitter is @stormydawn@ :)

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:30 AM

I have yet to read Bag of Bones. I shall pick it up, sounds interesting and I really adore Stephen King. :0

#4 Tobias Colt Ancient One Fiction is the Truth inside the Lie 74 posts 6.00 XCB

Tobias Colt

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:57 AM

I have yet to read Bag of Bones. I shall pick it up, sounds interesting and I really adore Stephen King. :0

It's definitely one of my favourites. Desperation and Thinner were close seconds. 

#5 Tobias Colt Ancient One Fiction is the Truth inside the Lie 74 posts 6.00 XCB

Tobias Colt

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:17 PM

This next one came out in 2001. I only just read the most recent one though and the Audio version that had a full cast, which I recommend 100% btw. This one is American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It's main focus is about how this society has forgotten the old Gods.. and replaced them with different ones, all while claiming they are getting away from religion. 

american-gods-book-cover-image.jpg

American Gods

Neil Gaiman

June 21st 2001

Fiction/Mythology

This book follows Shadow, the main character while he is in prison, counting down the days until he is released and he can see his wife, Lori. He gets released early and meets a man called Wednesday. Wednesday has a friend with him that tries to teach Shadow a trick involving a gold coin, a trick Shadow can't seem to remember after he is shown. Which then leads to a fight.
Wednesday offers Shadow a job..all he has to do is stay with Wednesday and do as he says and protect him. He'll pay him most handsomely. Shadow accepts the offer since he has nothing left to loose. 

The story takes them to different parts of the US where the meet with and try to recruit other Gods for the "Battle ahead" Though, no one knows what the battle is or who they are supposed to be fighting..or at least, Shadow doesn't know..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users