Photo
- - - - - 10 replies to this topic

Weekly Deck Building Contest

• Please log in to reply

Poll: This Week's Contenders (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Place your votes!

1. N Word means No (2 votes [18.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

2. T is for Timeater! (2 votes [18.18%] - View)

3. I want to B the very Best Because no one ever was (2 votes [18.18%] - View)

4. E For EXTREMELY BAD (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

5. D the Darkest Doom (2 votes [18.18%] - View)

6. Fabulous F (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. G for Greatness! (2 votes [18.18%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Exarion Team XC Pretty Face 5159 posts 202.00 XCB

Exarion
  • Interests:Just let me sleep.

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:38 PM

Weekly Deck Building Contest!

Welcome to the weekly deck building contest!
Congratulations to Yami Stomach, who won the 03/21 Weekly Deck Building Contest with his Dragon Elementals deck! Making use of the omnipresence of the Dragon-Type, this monotype deck toolboxes its way to the victory!

Everyone who participated will receive 1 x Pre-Synchro Era pack as thanks for participating. For winning this contest, Yami Stomach will instead receive his choice of 3 x Pre-Synchro Era or 1 x Pre-Xyz Era packs.

Previous Winners

Spoiler

The Rules

• Each member may submit up to one deck per week.
  • Each round of the contest will last one week.
  • The decks entered in a previous week's contest will be placed in a poll during the new week's contest.
  • Comments on the decks up for voting are encouraged, but not required.
  • Each participant will receive 1 x Pre-Synchro Era pack as thanks for participating.
  • The winner will instead receive a prize of their choice of 3 x Pre-Synchro Era packs or 1 x Pre-Xyz Era packs.
  • Be creative!

This Week's Contenders

Last week's theme was to make a deck using cards starting with the same letter only, while following some minor restrictions.

Spoiler

The Theme

This week's theme, chosen by Yami Stomach, is about humor.

Again sounding like a Billy theme (yet not necessarily one), we can find references, innuendos and puns in many cards.

Create a deck with as many cards that have either puns or innuendos in the name as possible and explain each one.

Have fun! 

#2 Exarion Team XC Pretty Face 5159 posts 202.00 XCB

Exarion

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:18 PM

I'm going to give 1 more week for this.
No entries yet and only 4 members have voted (when 7 have submitted an entry).

#3 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5516 posts 431.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:17 PM

I can't really think of any puns or jokes. I know there are, such as cards like Dice Try, but nothing that inspires me to make a deck around it.

#4 Gerdat14 Oldies Some Dude 2678 posts 158.00 XCB

Gerdat14
  • Interests:Dueling with YVD and playing illegal games with my blanket.. don't ask...

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:24 PM

Plus, there's the tag of explaining each one. So many of them are obvious, that the actual challenge is finding the harder to make puns and innuendos. Hell, the closest one to a difficult one is Ghostrick Socuteboss, which has at least 2 VERY obvious puns, and perhaps a few more.

#5 Exarion Team XC Pretty Face 5159 posts 202.00 XCB

Exarion

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:36 PM

To be really honest, I'm thinking about terminating the Weekly Deck Building Contest.

#6 RiverShock Ancient One XC's Official Setmaker 4511 posts 86.00 XCB

RiverShock

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:09 PM

I wouldn't blame you. While they can be fun, not everyone comes up with good suggestions, and that combined with the naturally lower turnout (since building a deck takes more effort and game knowledge than making a card), is a problem. (And not all people perceive certain types of deckbuilding contest as "good" or not, either.)

I mostly suggested starting these again as an additional way to give virtual packs, which are unfortunately no longer a factor. >.> (I personally really wanted them back anyway, but I knew the turnout wouldn't be good enough without an ulterior motive.)

...Urgh... I really should come up with a deck for this just for the sake of there being more than zero entries but... This is such a hard criteria, that I personally don't find all that interesting. It'll probably just be a bunch of vaguely related puns.dek that is very much filler. *sigh* I'll point out that, assuming OCG names are relevant, that Frogs and Numbers are both pretty noteworthy cards for this one, since ALL of their names have a meaning to them.

Edited by RiverShock, 03 April 2016 - 10:10 PM.

#7 BryceHarperFan Oldies Grand Ultimate Super Poster 2965 posts 424.00 XCB

BryceHarperFan

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:25 AM

I can't really think of Yugioh cards that are jokes, except for stuff like Cold Feet that's referencing the brokenness of a card. This is a really hard criteria, I doubt I can make a deck out of this. Maybe the criteria should be easier/simpler things?

#8 warrain Ancient One The Force is here 2440 posts 157.00 XCB

warrain
  • Interests:Games: video, and TCGs. TV, and sleeping.

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:15 PM

Yeah for puns and innuendos that's not so easy. But to say build a deck around 1-2 themes that aren't actually archtypes. Like the story of dog marroon or the solemn and forbidden sets. Or even the new mistaken tour guide stuff
Btw i like the weekly deck building. But for especially with the themes like the ones i suggested, it'll be more difficult to do with DN no longer able to use the images.

#9 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5516 posts 431.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:25 AM

Hmm, I agree that it's harder to build a deck without images on Dueling Network. I find that's the case too. Of course, the official Yugioh Database is just as good for finding cards, but it's annoying not being able to visualise the deck. I suppose DevPro would be the solution for that.

I'm not sure about others, but the Virtual Card Game didn't matter to me. I like creating decks. I guess the annoying part is that regardless of how much time you spend on the deck, by the end of the week, the next competition begins and the deck is never seen again. Instead of Deck Building Competitions, maybe duelling with the created decks is a way of rewarding the ones who spend time creating them.

I'm thinking the Deck Building Contest could be a two-part competition, the first part making the decks and the second part a short tournament or league. Can anyone think of a way to get it working? Or another idea on how to keep Deck Building interesting?

#10 Yami Stomach Oldies Wut 9429 posts 690.00 XCB

Yami Stomach
  • Interests:Who gives a shit.

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:17 AM

dont let the winner pick the next theme?

seriously iwas out of ideas hence why this theme is so shit (not my fault for wnning so much)

#11 BryceHarperFan Oldies Grand Ultimate Super Poster 2965 posts 424.00 XCB

BryceHarperFan

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:50 PM

I like the idea of actually using the decks. Maybe that's what decides the winner of the best deck tournament? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users