Photo
- - - - - 192 replies to this topic

Pokemon Gen VII Discussion

Pokemon, Gen VII, 3DS

• Please log in to reply

#161 kyros27 Oldies Spewer of over 4000 Posts! 4561 posts 186.00 XCB

kyros27

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:55 PM

I thought you could train pokemon to raise IVs now.

#162 Gerdat14 Oldies Some Dude 2690 posts 159.00 XCB

Gerdat14
  • Interests:Dueling with YVD and playing illegal games with my blanket.. don't ask...

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:15 PM

You can Hyper. At level 100. Using Bottle Caps. Which are hard to get. Honestly, I'd bet it would actually be simpler to do the SoS chaining for IVs, if very tedious.

#163 RiverShock Ancient One XC's Official Setmaker 4597 posts 86.00 XCB

RiverShock

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:43 PM

The Battle Tree does lock you to Level 50, not sure why you thought otherwise, Jesse. It's just that the early Pokemon are actually good now, instead of Watchogs and Servines. Plus the opponents can use Z-Moves and Mega Evolve. (I assume the latter, anyway. Had someone Mega Beedrill on me in Battle Royal, but not Tree yet.)

Hyper Training doesn't quite actually raise your IVs, unfortunately. It makes your stats behave as if they're max IVs. Which means it has zero effect whatsoever on breeding or what Hidden Power you have.

#164 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5535 posts 434.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:58 AM

I'm relatively sure the Battle Maison on XY locked to 50. I used to battle it with my level 100s and my level 50s and was equally successful. That's why I assumed the Battle Tree would reduce to 50 as well. So then... Does this mean once you raise your pokemon to Level 100 you're going to completely stomp the Battle Tree? Or will the enemy teams scale up to you?

I'm definitely glad about it being harder. Pokemon + a challenge = even greater fun. I remember one time doing a battle tower I was against this Vespiquen who kept increasing their Def, Sp.Def and Evasiveness, and after getting absolutely smashed, I honestly was smiling for ages.

I've been relatively addicted to Festival Plaza, I think I've managed to get three Bottle Caps from Treasure Hunt. Four of my Festival Plaza shops are lotteries, I've got one Friendship Café (which is damn effective - Crobat at level 24? Snorlax at Level 19?) and then some other things like Soft Drink Parlor for a bunch of Moomoo Milks and a Thump-Bump Park but I have no reason to use that just yet. Yesterday I got Gold Rush★★★★, that was cool, got me a PP Max. Too many Berry Juices though! Might be good for Little Cup games but it'll be a long time before I can think about breeding for that.

#165 Yami Stomach Oldies Wut 9469 posts 691.00 XCB

Yami Stomach
  • Interests:Who gives a shit.

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:43 AM

beat the league yesterday team was incineroar, lycanroc, garchomp, metagross, leafeon and gastrodon

and even with 2 pseudo-legends i struggled with the league, it was nuts

but yeah i'm breeding for the battle tree now i'll probabbly just artificially raise IVs if i even bother at all sincei cba SoS grinding i dont really care about hidden power or further breeding anyway. besides i can always look a trade board somewhere for a high IV pokemon if i need to breed something else

#166 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5535 posts 434.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:58 PM

Oh I think I understand now. Completely misread and misunderstood. When you enter the battle tree you fight once against Lv.65+, but the battle tree scales to 50. That's probably correct.

Ahh everyone's beating the league already.. Well my team is strong I should be there soon.

I'm actually quite looking forward to SOS chaining. I wonder if/when I'll get bored of it once I start though.

#167 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5535 posts 434.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:57 AM

Right, I just got the league down too.

Crobat Lv.59
Dhelmise Lv.64
Garchomp Lv.63
Primarina Lv.59
Tsareena Lv.64
Toucannon Lv.62

And I caught a bunch of Abras before fighting Nebby to make sure I got a Timid Synchronizer. And so, my Lunala is Timid nature. Can't ask for more.

Now to use that same Abra in my rematch against Tapu Koko and get him how I want him too.

Also, I decided to switch Battle Scenes on for the Elite Four - I gotta say it was awesome to finish off the league with Oceanic Operetta. Z-Moves are cool man.

#168 Yami Stomach Oldies Wut 9469 posts 691.00 XCB

Yami Stomach

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:08 PM

overlevelled much? my team wasnt even close to level 60 it was like

Garchomp LV 52

Metagross LV 51

Incineroar LV 56

Leafeon LV 57

Gastrodon LV 53

Lycanroc LV 56

#169 RiverShock Ancient One XC's Official Setmaker 4597 posts 86.00 XCB

RiverShock

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:13 PM

Damn it, there's no way to check what levels my Pokemon were when I beat the Elite 4. That is very disappointing. I'd expect my Levels were pretty similar to Stomach's though, though more balanced. My team was Lumineon, Vikavolt, Magnezone, Decidueye, Marowak and Ninetales, though. Funny how it coincidentally ended up as 2 old Pokemon, 2 Alolan forms and 2 new Pokemon since Vikavolt and Decidueye were the only ones I planned ahead of time. (Though I was leaning towards Ninetales also.) That being said, I had no outs to Kukui's Incineroar, and literally Max Potioned my Magnezone until he Flare Blitz'd himself to death. (If he burned me, I probably would have lost.)

I guess we'll see what level I naturally end up at in Moon when I can be bothered actually beating it. (I left it at the point Lusamine went to the Ultra Beast dimension days ago.)

#170 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5535 posts 434.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:28 PM

Well, a lot of my Pokemon were traded. Gible, Dhelmise and Bounsweet were all from different OTs, which is why they were stronger than the other three.

Although, interestingly my weakest was still 59. I did use the Festival Plaza's Rare Kitchen to level up my Pokemon - but even then this caps out at level 39. And I didn't use it that often either. Also all my Pokemon had at least 4 hearts in Pokemon Refresh, so they would have received the 20% Experience bonus too.

That's all I can think of. It's funny though because halfway through the game I felt very overlevelled, so switched to a completely different party of 6, raising them to around level 33 where they'd evolve. And then after I went back to my original team and I didn't feel so overlevelled any more.

And lol, that's one way of beating Kukui. Still deservedly a champion haha

#171 JinZ Ancient One The guy peeking through your window 4606 posts 17.00 XCB

JinZ

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:00 AM

Well, on the league I had Incineroar, Pelipper, Dhelmise, Dugtrio, Lunala and Ribombee...

Originally I planned to have Crabominable instead of Lunala, but just rolled with it for the story. Levels were in the high 40's ~ 50's range, with Incineroar at 56, maybe 57 and Dhelmise at 45~47, practically fished him just before going to Mount Lanakila. Also got a couple of bottle caps while trying. There's a good spot at Seafolk village where you walk out of a boathouse and there's a fishing spot with ripples right there, you can keep going in and out to activate the ripples.

Had to burn quite a few max revives and full restores/max potions, but pulled through.

#172 kyros27 Oldies Spewer of over 4000 Posts! 4561 posts 186.00 XCB

kyros27

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:53 PM

I'm maybe halfway through the 3rd island, and all of my pokemon are level 40.  I feel like opponents just stopped leveling in the late 20s so it's just been getting easier and easier so I've been trading out 2-3 pokemon at a time to level some for pokedex entries.  I am using a 100% gen 7 team (not even using alola forms of older pokemon).  When I play through Sun I plan on using all gen 7 again, but I might use at least 1 alolan form on my team.

I currently use:

Decidueye

Ribombee

Lycanroc

Mudsdale

Salazzle

Wishiwashi

I've found my type coverage is pretty awesome and haven't had any problems so far.  I don't even use z-powers vs npcs (did the same with mega forms in gen 6) unless I just feel like seeing something cool.

#173 Yami Stomach Oldies Wut 9469 posts 691.00 XCB

Yami Stomach

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:02 AM

tbhy my problem with most of the gen 7 pokes is how slow they are, seriously look up the base stats of virtually anything and it wont have speed higher than 50, most of em are around 30 base speed.

#174 RiverShock Ancient One XC's Official Setmaker 4597 posts 86.00 XCB

RiverShock

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:39 AM

That's true to an extent, but there are a fair few fast Pokemon, too. Ribombee, Lycanroc (Midday), Salazzle, Comfey and several of the Legendaries and Ultra Beasts are base 100+ speed. They did clearly try to limit the speedy Pokemon, though. It does feel like a couple of things should've been faster than they are, like Lurantis and Decidueye. It's surprising how many Pokemon lose speed when they evolve this generation, though. It's not exactly rare for Pokemon to do that (Pokemon like Steelix and Scizor lose a lot of speed when they evolve), but still, there's quite a lot, and some of them aren't all that logical to me, like Mareanie to Toxapex. (They're both about as bulky as eachother.) Crabrawler to Crabominable bothers me, too. Corphish gains speed when it evolves into the much bulkier Crawdaunt, but Crabominable LOSES speed. Lol.

#175 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5535 posts 434.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:13 AM

I wish Tsareena was faster.. But it's ok because she's actually unexpectedly bulky. 

Yet I'm pretty glad that Gen VII didn't introduce a bunch of faster, stronger pokemon. I'm totally happy with how they introduced bulky ones like Mudsdale, Toxapex, Golisopod and some Alolan forms. Mudsdale and Stamina especially was a really cool idea - it's nice in Little Cup but it won't affect OU too much.

Even though I don't have Pokerus yet, I had enough BP for a Power Anklet and Lens, so I've EV trained my Lunala and Tapu Fini.

Tapu Fini is an absolute god when it comes to the Battle Tree. Of course it has great typing, but Misty Terrain is what puts it on easy mode. The AI likes to use Confuse Ray/Swagger/Flatter a bunch, which obviously doesn't confuse under Mist, and I just get free attacks (and in the case of Flatter +2 to Sp.Atk). Also, unlike Primarina, this Water/Fairy guy actually gets Calm Mind.. So that's hella nice. Lost my streak at 17 though because a Shell Smashed Barbaracle swept me up. Now I'm just saving up for Choice Scarf for Tsareena and I should be good for the Battle Tree. I definitely need a really fast Pokemon or Priority user though to go besides Tapu Fini and Garchomp. Lycanroc would be fun, but if I really want to go far in the Tree I should probably catch and train Pheromosa.

EV Training is still pretty fast even without Pokerus, but damn, I can't wait to do it at max efficiency. 

#176 JinZ Ancient One The guy peeking through your window 4606 posts 17.00 XCB

JinZ

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:37 AM

Speaking of Pokerus, for the first time ever my team got it by itself, without needing to trade for it...and I didn't notice, didn't play the next day and when I saw it the following day, it was no longer contagious. :disappointed:

#177 RiverShock Ancient One XC's Official Setmaker 4597 posts 86.00 XCB

RiverShock

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:50 AM

I've gotten it in the wild before. (I think both in Emerald and HeartGold.) Also happened to get a Lillipup with Pokerus from Wonder Trade pretty early on in Sun. (From someone deliberately distributing Pokerus, since the nickname as literally "Pokerus ;)") Ironically, haven't spread it or used it at all yet, lol.

#178 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5535 posts 434.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:08 PM

I've received it by chance once, but it was during an emulated playthrough of Emerald, so it's not like I could do anything with it.

My bro found it in Pearl so I've had it since then but now I need it.. Found some people to trade with though so that's nice.

Really can't wait to transfer my 6IV ditto over - I feel like putting effort in breeding is a waste of time cause I'm a perfectionist. I'm just going to want to redo the breeding and EV training once I get the Ditto.

#179 RiverShock Ancient One XC's Official Setmaker 4597 posts 86.00 XCB

RiverShock

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:39 AM

And FINALLY got around to beating Moon. Final team:

Sandslash (48)

Shiinotic (54)

Oricorio Pom-Pom Style (55)

Wishiwashi (58)

Granbull (59)

Incineroar (57)

No held items (not even Z-Crystals), lol. Finished it in exactly 24 hours ingame time, surprisingly. (Getting a Granbull with a nature that wasn't garbage took over an hour, though.)

Man, I forgot how utterly stupid max affection is... I maxed out my Granbull. Against Kahili's Crobat, I affection-dodged 3 Air Slash in a row and knocked it out with 3 Play Roughs... That is disgusting.

Edited by RiverShock, 24 January 2017 - 06:44 AM.

#180 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5535 posts 434.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:58 PM

Yeah I know, but it makes the game anime-like which is actually quite fun to be a part of, even though I don't watch the show. I remember my Toucannon dodging a bunch of Kukui's attacks, and that was one of the hardest matches. May have lost without it. Or maybe it was someone else, I guess it's been a while now.

That's a really cool team you finished with though. 

Anyone know when Bank gets updated? Maybe it already has I have no clue.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pokemon, Gen VII, 3DS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users