Photo
- - - - - 102 replies to this topic

Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Conversation

• Please log in to reply

#101 MidnightDaybreak Ancient One SSJ4 Poster 2067 posts 3.00 XCB

MidnightDaybreak
  • Interests:Lessee... my kitten, RPing (especially battles XD), WWE, my kitten, DX, my kitten, movies, reading, writing, my kitten, anime/manga, my kitten, games, definitely sex *drool* my kitten... um my kitten... um... did I say my kitten yet? o.o

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:24 AM

It's kinda hard to tell either way whether he "unretired" before the end of the original series or not. He at the very least took a break at the end of the series (where he spectated the Ceremonial Duel), but aside from likely the upcoming movie, we have zero indication of him ever dueling seriously again, since he never did so in GX either (though I'd say Pegasus's opinions of the "top duelists" in Aster's flashback point to the fact he probably did duel again at some point between the Ceremonial Duel and GX. Which I suppose is now going to be cannon, with the new movie. Heh.). It's pretty clear that by GX, his days of dueling competitively ended a while ago, lol.

You really can't talk about Dark Side of Dimensions and GX in the same continuity though. GX obviously followed along from the Yugioh DM anime, but Dark Side of Dimensions is a continuation of the Yugioh manga.

Yugioh manga =/= Yugioh DM (anime); they're different continuities.

Not to mention, the implications of the ending of Dark Side of Dimensions is Kaiba pretty much commits suicide by using his VR machine to reach and duel Atem in the afterlife <..<

Edited by MidnightDaybreak, 29 October 2016 - 09:25 AM.

#102 RiverShock Ancient One XC's Official Setmaker 4583 posts 86.00 XCB

RiverShock

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:51 PM

There is nothing that contradicts this being based on the anime continuity. And really, as far as things that actually affected the overall storyline go, there are very few events that happened in one and not the other, so it's kinda irrelevant. (Pegasus dying in the manga continuity is the only relevant thing I can think of.) Either way, I doubt your assumption of Kaiba's demise is accurate. (For one thing, that wouldn't be logical. Though more importantly, the GX manga probably mentions Kaiba at some point anyway, and I'd assume that IS canon with the original manga.)

#103 MidnightDaybreak Ancient One SSJ4 Poster 2067 posts 3.00 XCB

MidnightDaybreak
  • Interests:Lessee... my kitten, RPing (especially battles XD), WWE, my kitten, DX, my kitten, movies, reading, writing, my kitten, anime/manga, my kitten, games, definitely sex *drool* my kitten... um my kitten... um... did I say my kitten yet? o.o

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:06 PM

If my memory serves me, the only mention of Kaiba in the GX manga when Judai thinking back on him being a legendary duelist, along with the likes of Yugi, Jonouchi, and Mai; I don't believe he ever made an actual appearance.

There are quite a few differences between the manga and the DM anime. For one, the DM anime doesn't even start until volume 8 of the manga, and then had to redo several of the key events from volumes 1-7 for them to be included, such as Yugi's first meeting with Shadi, Yugi's duel with Kaiba where he summoned Exodia, and the introduction of Yami Bakura. There's also the fact that the manga doesn't feature all of the filler arcs (Legendary Heroes, Virtual World, Orichalcos, and KC Grand Prix), but does (or at least could) include the Project RA arc. Finally, there's the difference in character depth between the anime and manga incarnation of the characters. By skipping over the first 7 volumes, the anime missed out on a lot of the early character development and, while they did what they could to bring that into the anime, manga incarnations of the characters just feel like they have more depth to them.

Maybe you don't agree, and that's fine, but I've never been able to reconcile the anime and manga being the same. In my mind, there are too many difference for them to be the same continuity.

As far as the whole Kaiba's demise thing, that's what I took away from the ending, based on what happened during the Transcend Game chapters, as well as his parting words to Mokuba before entering the VR machine at the end of the movie.

I feel I should also point out that the Japanese release of Dark Side of Dimensions was specifically stated as taking place 6 months after the events of the original manga.

Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions is a 2016 Japanese animated film, part of the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise. The film is an original story and features Yugi Muto and Seto Kaiba as its main characters.[1] The film's story is set six months after the events of the original Yu-Gi-Oh! manga in Japan. In English speaking countries, the film's story is set one year after the events of Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters.

--https://en.wikipedia...e_of_Dimensions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users