Photo
- - - - - 102 replies to this topic

Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Conversation

• Please log in to reply

#21 BryceHarperFan Oldies Grand Ultimate Super Poster 2965 posts 424.00 XCB

BryceHarperFan

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:24 PM

If Deep Sweep is Fiendish Chained, can I activate its effect and get it?

Also, I was referring to the obviously bad cards that are horrific - ie Great Moth/Gate Guardian. Kycoo is still actually pretty decent. Those other cards I named, are not. Exchange of the Spirit did seem like it was made for decking out purposes (see Kaiba vs. Ishizu). 

#22 BryceHarperFan Oldies Grand Ultimate Super Poster 2965 posts 424.00 XCB

BryceHarperFan

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:11 PM

Mystic Box vs. Maiden of the Blue-Eyes

Do I get the effect of Maiden of the Blue-Eyes?

#23 Yami Stomach Oldies Wut 9469 posts 691.00 XCB

Yami Stomach
  • Interests:Who gives a shit.

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:56 AM

so i was replaying Yu-Gi-Oh WC 2008 today and i just found out that VWXYZ Dragon Catapult Cannon's "remove an opponent's card from play" effect is mandatory, the game made me move to MP2 and then triggered it during the end phase.

#24 kyros27 Oldies Spewer of over 4000 Posts! 4551 posts 186.00 XCB

kyros27

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:34 AM

XYZ >>> VWXYZ

I've never liked the VW additions.

#25 Yami Stomach Oldies Wut 9469 posts 691.00 XCB

Yami Stomach

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:41 PM

it was one of the Stone Seal challenges where you have to summon a certain monster and win. had VW out for a long while then eventually kept beating his cards down and got out Y and Z then he stupidly summoned X and attacked Y right into negate attack allowing me to brain control it next turn and go for XYZ and then V-Z

#26 BryceHarperFan Oldies Grand Ultimate Super Poster 2965 posts 424.00 XCB

BryceHarperFan

Posted 28 February 2016 - 03:26 PM

On the topic of changing card text, for certain cards to work better (such as the Destiny Board), why not add in a sentence that will make it actually usable? Getting the Destiny Board out nowadays is impossible with MST, Twin Twisters, and tons of effect monsters that easily remove the backrow. Should they make a retrained Destiny Board or just edit the text of Destiny Board? (which does need an update, because I wasn't sure if the "placing" of Spirit Message cards was considered as activating them)

#27 Yami Stomach Oldies Wut 9469 posts 691.00 XCB

Yami Stomach

Posted 28 February 2016 - 03:50 PM

errata to clarify that issue sure but the card itself needs no change, though a new version of it would be pretty awesome

#28 bobandjim Ancient One Needs a life 986 posts 108.00 XCB

bobandjim

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:53 PM

The only advantage I see to the errata of some broken cards is it makes traditional slightly more playable.

#29 BryceHarperFan Oldies Grand Ultimate Super Poster 2965 posts 424.00 XCB

BryceHarperFan

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:46 AM

What are some cards that you think should come off of the ban list? After the tournaments that I've done here, I realized that Thousand Eyes Restrict should be back at 3. It really isn't that much of a threat nowadays, and with Metamorphosis banned it really can't do much. Makyura The Destructor definitely should be at 3. No one even uses trap cards that much anymore except for Solemn cards and the cards necessary to OTK with him are banned. I doubt anyone will actually run him. Cold Wave can be at 1. Most meta decks rely on using Spells to start their strategies, and with pendulums I doubt anyone will run them. Super Rejuvenation should also come off, as clearly E-Drags are dead. 

Thoughts?

#30 Yami Stomach Oldies Wut 9469 posts 691.00 XCB

Yami Stomach

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:58 AM

one card i could see is Harpie's Feather Duster or Heavy Storm

in a format where pendulums are god tier and backrow is still a plentiful threat we have no mass backrow removal aside from a few niche cards like A wingbeat of Giant Dragon and Malevolent Catastrophe. we did fine with heavy storm for YEARS and they only banned it to shove more pendulums down our throats, hell OCG is doing fine with HFD at 1. why couldnt we?

#31 RiverShock Ancient One XC's Official Setmaker 4564 posts 86.00 XCB

RiverShock

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:01 AM

...Makyura is still one of the most broken cards in the game. I'd EASILY put it in the top 10. It's even easier to trigger now than it ever was in the past, and the draw traps it provides makes the Chicken Game engine look like garbage.

Cold Wave's still rather powerful. It's probably more powerful than Storm/Duster right now, actually. It locks down plays, and there's plenty of decks that either straight out LOSE to Cold Wave, or are virtually unaffected by it and could run it. (And the former is much, much more common.)

Thousand-Eyes Restrict will remain banned as long as Instant Fusion isn't banned (unless TER gets an errata). It probably wouldn't break the game IF it came back (similar to something like Pot of Greed or Change of Heart), but it's definitely not something that SHOULD come back.

Honestly, with the obvious exception of Dark Magician of Chaos (since we already have its errata), and Chaos Emperor Dragon (when we get its errata), there's nothing I feel "should" come back. There are a few cards like Witch of the Black Forest, Time Seal and Cyber-Stein that could probably come back without breaking the game, but there aren't many.

#32 Gerdat14 Oldies Some Dude 2688 posts 159.00 XCB

Gerdat14
  • Interests:Dueling with YVD and playing illegal games with my blanket.. don't ask...

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:18 AM

I've always felt the hit to cyber Stein was iffy, but as long as Cyber Twin is a thing, Stein will probably remain banned. My friend and I still don't understand why Yata isn't back yet, and with PePe still being like the second most played deck in the game right now, I don't think Yata coming back would hurt the meta game at all. 

Oh, and PLEASE bring back Heavy Storm. It helps out SO much right now, even with the S/T heavy Archtypes. Hell, the worst i could see happening in HAT becoming a deck again, and at least that would be something to watch.

#33 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5529 posts 434.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:00 PM

Heavy Storm would be too much. There are already so many Pendulums that benefit from being destroyed by your own Wavering Eyes, and Heavy Storm achieves that and more. Sure, it doesn't add another copy to your hand, but you get rid of any defences your opponent may have had. We have Twin Twisters and I think that's enough. Harpie's Feather Duster is, ironically, not as good as Heavy Storm can be. But while Raigeki and 2x Dark Hole can exist in a place where many monsters are hard to destroy, Spells and Traps (bar Pendulums) are a lot more devastating when removed. 

I'd actually love to see Redox back at 1, because that would be cool. But for sure, if any of the Dragon Rulers are coming back it would be Blaster or Tempest.

And then lastly, I'd like to see either Monster Reborn, Premature Burial, Snatch Steal or Brain Control make a return. I know, they can all steal games if you draw them (or Hidden Armory), but isn't that what Yugioh's about? Beat your opponent's before they beat you, or prepare to face the heart of the cards. And to be honest, with so many decks able to OTK, the moments you get to use the Spells will be a lot less powerful than they used to be. The biggest downside to Reborn and Prem is the ability to make even bigger combos, and in fact secure an OTK you may not have had without it. But, if that just makes more decks powerful, I'd actually be fine with it. I like playing hand traps anyway.

#34 BryceHarperFan Oldies Grand Ultimate Super Poster 2965 posts 424.00 XCB

BryceHarperFan

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:01 AM

But Instant Fusion will just kill Thousand Eyes Restrict at the End Phase, which effectively allows it to destroy 1 monster on the field. I'm not sure it's worth it, and also whether there are Rank 1's that can benefit from Thousand-Eyes Restrict being back. Even if it got out onto the field via proper Fusion, its effect locks down everyone but itself and it doesn't protect from effect destruction which is so rampant nowadays I doubt he will do anything if he comes back.

I still don't see what is so good about Makyura. People barely run trap cards nowadays, and I don't think people will dedicate the space in a deck just to run Makyura for his potential brokeness (which seems to only be feasible in a dedicated deck).

I was just thinking about the Heavy Storm vs. Duster debate, and then I thought why not Giant Trunade. I don't know many pendulum cards, but I'm sure there are some that get effects when played in the pendulum zone so I guess Trunade is the most dangerous of them all. I do think that a mass spell/trap removal needs to be available. I was thinking they should make something like "Little Trunade" with the effect being all opponent's spells/traps go to their hand and you cannot attack directly this turn.

I used to be all for Yata getting unbanned (even be at 3), but my tournament made me see the light as to why Yata is banned. All it takes is Dark Hole and Yata and you get the lock. With Raigeki and Dark Hole at 2, and many other monster destruction effects at players' disposal, if even one copy of Yata was available, I could see Yata easily slipped into decks and the lock coming back.

#35 RiverShock Ancient One XC's Official Setmaker 4564 posts 86.00 XCB

RiverShock

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:20 AM

Your logic on Makyura is very flawed. Why would if people are currently running Traps be at all relevant? People WOULD use (and HEAVILY abuse) traps if Makyura was in the format. That's like saying nobody uses Fusions, let's bring back Magical Scientist and Metamorphosis. Or nobody uses Gearfried, let's bring back Butterfly Dagger.

#36 BryceHarperFan Oldies Grand Ultimate Super Poster 2965 posts 424.00 XCB

BryceHarperFan

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:43 AM

Well the thing with Makyura is that I don't know the combos that people use for it, except for (I think) an old Exchange of the Spirit move. Do you really see people maining Makyura if it were available right now? Wasting 2 slots in the deck for cards more relevant to their strategy? My reasoning behind Makyura not being that good is the fact that most decks nowadays have a certain flow to them and can't really spare the space just for a monster that might be helpful for some random traps. Butterfly Dagger is different because that is searchable, has a very easy to use combo with Gearfried, and is just broken. Makyura is different. Also, people use Fusions nowadays for easy Xyz material, so bringing those back are horrible ideas. But, Makyura? I can't see how it will be useful compared to those other examples you gave.

#37 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5529 posts 434.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 02 March 2016 - 02:44 PM

If Makyura came back, the top deck would be some sort of FTK involving Makyura. 

It would not be wasting 2 slots if it's the main monster in a deck. You're right that people probably won't be playing Makyura in Monarchs or Pendulums. But you're wrong if you think they won't start playing an FTK involving it.

#38 bobandjim Ancient One Needs a life 986 posts 108.00 XCB

bobandjim

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:05 AM

Here is an FTK I cooked up assuming only Maky came off the list

Monsters 

1x Makyura the Destructor

3x Armageddon Knight

Spells

3x Chicken Game

3x Psuedo Space

3x Terraforming

3x Upstart

3x Hand Destruction

3x Into the Void

1x Pot of Duality

1x Foolish Burial

1x Reinforcement of the Army

Traps

3x Reckless Greed

3x Legacy of Yata Garasu

3x Jar of Greed

3x Good Goblin Housekeeping

2x Jar of Avarice

1x Blasting the Ruins

Side Deck:

1 Day of Peace

Loop: 

1. Dump Maky by drawing into Rota, Armageddon, or Foolish Burial.  Also Maky + Hand Destruction works

2. Draw your Deck

3.  Play Blasting the Ruins

4. Pot of Avarice for: Blasting the Ruins + Pot of Avarice + Jar of Greed/Reckless Greed depending on how many draw cards are in your hand

5. ?????

6. Profit

Game 2 Side in One Day of Peace and loop that.  Make your opponent deck out by forcing them to draw one card at a time.  Only loses to droll and lock bird. 

Edited by bobandjim, 03 March 2016 - 03:11 AM.

#39 BryceHarperFan Oldies Grand Ultimate Super Poster 2965 posts 424.00 XCB

BryceHarperFan

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:47 AM

OK I see how Makyura can create a FTK still, but all Makyura does is enable tons of drawing. Why not just ban Blasting The Ruins? That's the card that actually does damage. If you didn't have access to that card, would there be any other FTKs Makyura could do?

#40 Gerdat14 Oldies Some Dude 2688 posts 159.00 XCB

Gerdat14
  • Interests:Dueling with YVD and playing illegal games with my blanket.. don't ask...

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:59 AM

Because aside from Maky, Blasting is a terrible card and sees no play.  Eel, Maky is his entire own fully consistent deck type. Even without Blasting the ruins, it would be super simple to use him to deal 9000+ damage the turn you drop him. Maky cannot come back with it's current wording, and if we really want to see that kind of effect working, it needs a serious retrain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users