Photo
- - - - - 22 replies to this topic

Things to Come; News Posts and IRC

• Please log in to reply

#1 Gren Team XC That One Guy 5678 posts 143.00 XCB

Gren
  • Interests:Interests? What interests?

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:14 PM

I said I'd do a news post so here it is!

First thing I want to kick off is that we are planning on bringing back weekly/bi-weekly news posts. I think that will help increase activity even just by a little. The one thing I tend to notice, and not just what happened in the past, is people come back to sites when new information is posted. Eventually they get involved with the community and partake in discussions and events.

What news will we be covering? Let me go over that.

-XC News (pertaining to Create-A-Card threads, tournaments, site updates, etc)

-Yu-Gi-Oh! News (set releases, games, events, anything else that's interesting enough to post)

-Magic: The Gathering (set releases, events like Pro Tour and Grand Prix, etc)

-Gaming News (New and upcoming titles, various other things that would catch attention)

-Film/TV (Anything big hitting the box office, new shows worth watching, etc)

-World News (This will be a gray area)

World news may or may not happen strictly because there has been problems with things that could pertain to flaming and trolling. If it's important, then it will be posted regardless. Others are fairly straight forward. I'm hoping to start doing news posts the first Friday of February and every Friday or every other Friday (depending on how much content is put in) after that.  If you have some content you would like to see put in, PM one of us and we'll take a look at it.

Second thing on board is IRC. Because our active user base is small right now, I'm going to hold off a bit until we generate more users and content. We are looking at using an in-forum chat system in place of IRC. Either myself or Bardon will be looking into finding a server or hosting our own. Otherwise, if someone can think of any other ideas, we're all ears.

Another thing I have thought about recently was user created articles. This was another thing we had back in the day that may also generate content. If you would like to see something like this return, please let me know and I can take care of any user-submitted articles and approve of them to be posted. Of course, there will be guidelines to follow. My job is primarily behind the scenes stuff and content creation. I want to make sure we are getting quality news posts and articles before they are posted. 

Examples of user-created content would be posting and reviewing a top-tier deck, video game reviews, why X is better then Y (within reason), or something we wouldn't normally cover in our news posts. Be creative! You could even post articles on Photoshop lessons.

That's it from me. Looking forward to finally move things in motion.

PS: If you want me to use tags in news posts, yell at me and I'll do it. I don't like using them, but if it makes finding things easier, then by all means I'll start using them.

#2 Knowbie Ancient One Pro Orthodoxy 4066 posts 17.00 XCB

Knowbie

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:01 PM

I very much enjoy the archival flags on posts, but most updates on forums and blogs seem unworthy of attention or recollection.  Although, every now and again I use the WayBackMachine to visit old topics, including News Posts, on this very compendium of cringe.  I do miss seeing a number of names here. 

Edited by Knowbie, 08 January 2016 - 11:02 PM.

#3 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5516 posts 431.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:23 AM

I think it would be the perfect time to link threads with tags. Instead of tags being useless like "world news", you could use "Obama" instead, or whatever is mentioned in it.

#4 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5516 posts 431.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:52 PM

Just re-read this, and I have something to add. Don't worry about world news posts having trolling or flaming - as long as I'm around, nobody here is going to cross the line. I can promise that much. I can imagine some debate happening, but that's fine, it allows everyone to grow and be open-minded and come to their own conclusions. There won't be insults.

#5 fluppy Ancient One I didn't know I could change this. 1584 posts 129.00 XCB

fluppy
  • Interests:dead bodies & vaginas

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:28 AM

[...] on this very compendium of cringe. 

Zing.

I do think the in-forum chatbox dealy is a neat idea. But be prepared, I'll undoubtedly fill it with at least a handful of ascii penises. 

#6 Emma Team XC TML's Secretary 1712 posts 71.00 XCB

Emma

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:58 PM

Lets hold off on the cock flood for now.

#7 fluppy Ancient One I didn't know I could change this. 1584 posts 129.00 XCB

fluppy

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:42 PM

I wasn't thinking of a flood, but rather something akin to a mild discharge... like gonorrhea or something. Just the occasional cock. 

#8 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5516 posts 431.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:51 PM

Hmm, I suppose we'll have to make some rules to go with it then, and stick to them. Should be easy enough.

#9 fluppy Ancient One I didn't know I could change this. 1584 posts 129.00 XCB

fluppy

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:15 PM

Honestly I think that is a big mistake. 

#10 Knowbie Ancient One Pro Orthodoxy 4066 posts 17.00 XCB

Knowbie

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:51 PM

Do you mean that the rules themselves are the mistake or that the entire notion of a chatbox on a forum is the mistake?

#11 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5516 posts 431.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:54 AM

Rule number 1: No penises
Rule number 2: No penises

#12 fluppy Ancient One I didn't know I could change this. 1584 posts 129.00 XCB

fluppy

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:41 PM

Do you mean that the rules themselves are the mistake or that the entire notion of a chatbox on a forum is the mistake?

The rules themselves. I think a chatbox would be fun. 

#13 Colscop Members Just Starting 2 posts 0.00 XCB

Colscop

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:57 PM

I'm an old user, although most likely no one remembers ;_; but an IRC Server/chatbox would be a great idea to bring some people back, even old XC friends of mine who I communicate with semi-regularly still cross our fingers that one day we see...

"[15:04] -irc.xerocreative.com- *** Looking up your hostname..." 

#14 BryceHarperFan Oldies Grand Ultimate Super Poster 2965 posts 424.00 XCB

BryceHarperFan

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:10 PM

I'm an old user, although most likely no one remembers ;_; but an IRC Server/chatbox would be a great idea to bring some people back, even old XC friends of mine who I communicate with semi-regularly still cross our fingers that one day we see...

I remember you. Listen, you and your old XC friends are definitely not alone. But, right now the forum is the number one place to converge. You need to try and get them back onto here, then we can work on rebuilding iRC together. Welcome back, friend!

#15 Knowbie Ancient One Pro Orthodoxy 4066 posts 17.00 XCB

Knowbie

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:03 PM

Deep.

#16 Awake Ancient One Newish 68 posts 0.00 XCB

Awake

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:38 PM

Man, this place just will not die. I love it. This is the first online community I was truly a part of, and really the only one I find myself seeking out at all, even if it's once a year just to make sure it's still there. Last time I came back was during a very dark time for me, and now that I'm coming out of it, I'm glad to see it's still around. I miss you guys, I truly do, even those of you I've never met. I always had a love for this community, and that's something I don't think will ever die. Maybe I should come around more often.

Also, Knowbie - cesspool of cringe is the most accidentally metal thing I have heard all month. 

#17 Joe Ancient One Under The Gun 4324 posts 0.00 XCB

Joe

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:08 AM

Back to back like Jordan '96-'97. 

#18 Emma Team XC TML's Secretary 1712 posts 71.00 XCB

Emma

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:26 PM

The funny thing is Joe I just watched the parody of that song that had the obama look alike in it.

#19 OriginalKaibaboy Members Just Starting 13 posts 4.00 XCB

OriginalKaibaboy

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:50 AM

I definitely support a move to IRC if we can grow the place a bit. For those who don't know me, I am a returning member from 2002-2006 era and sporadic appearances since 2010. I go by Kaiba_Boy which I was using from day1. Pleased to meet everyone. I think if we all reached out to our networks we can definitely bring more people on board. We will see how things go with time.
-Xerocreative's Always,
Kaiba_Boy

#20 RiverShock Ancient One XC's Official Setmaker 4518 posts 86.00 XCB

RiverShock

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:05 AM

XC does have a Discord server... The chat link at the top of the forums will bring you there. Basically the same thing as IRC, but a few more gamer-oriented features like the option for voice chat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users