Photo
- - - - - 122 replies to this topic

Unclaimed Rewards

Virtual Card Collection

• Please log in to reply

#21 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5501 posts 424.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:47 AM

Maybe lower the chances of getting the secrets etc, but increase the number of packs we get as a reward for partaking in things. I'm quite happy atm receiving cards that actually make my deck usable, but I can see everyone getting multiple overpowered banned cards very quickly.

What about if people who take part in competitions all get 3 pre-synchro packs, and the winner gets 2 additional secret packs - packs of 4-5 cards from a set that only contains Rare+ cards? Something like that.

#22 storyteller Oldies When a story comes to an end... 3365 posts 339.00 XCB

storyteller

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:42 PM

I'd appreciate more thoughts on this matter, if possible.

Also, thoughts on allowing Dark Beginnings/Dark Revelation, etc.?

My initial reaction would have been a "no".

Edited by storyteller, 03 November 2015 - 05:43 PM.

#23 RiverShock Ancient One XC's Official Setmaker 4474 posts 86.00 XCB

RiverShock

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:08 PM

I don't see a problem with Dark Beginning/Dark Revelation, as long as they don't contain more cards than the other packs. They're MUCH larger sets, making it much harder to pull specific cards. Also, with Dark Beginning/Revelation sets specifically, the rarities of the most desirable cards are generally similar to the packs they reprint from. (Even ignoring DR3, which is literally just four packs combined.) Retro Pack/Dark Legends make more of the playable stuff low-rarity, so I'd be more hesitant to allow those. One concern, though: Are banned cards allowed? If so, that could potentially be an issue, a fair number of them were reprinted low-rarity in these sets, such as Common Confiscation or Rare Forceful Sentry.

Don't really have a comment on what to do to augment peoples' card pools honestly. Though perhaps more ways to earn them *cough*bringbackthedeckbuildingcontest*cough* could work?

Edited by RiverShock, 03 November 2015 - 10:12 PM.

#24 storyteller Oldies When a story comes to an end... 3365 posts 339.00 XCB

storyteller

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:23 PM

My concern regarding DB1,2 is that they offer some of the better stuff from the earliest sets, which means you can either risk getting totally worthless commons from packs like LOB looking for Dark Hole or go to DB with better commons, which I feel weighs in favor of the latter, thus devaluing those early packs.

Although, looking closer, I may be overstating the power of DB commons and rares...

#25 TheLaughingMan-JDS Ancient One Chivalrous Shark 15255 posts 227.00 XCB

TheLaughingMan-JDS

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:35 PM

Maybe try generating some packs from those sets, and see how it looks?

#26 Hypermaster117 Oldies WABIT SEASON 2116 posts 265.00 XCB

Hypermaster117
  • Interests:Anime, YGO, Vanguard, LoL

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:42 PM

Frankly there's always going to be a better thing to draft. The way I see it everyones going to build a decent base of monsters then go hunting and pray to rngesus for staples.

#27 RiverShock Ancient One XC's Official Setmaker 4474 posts 86.00 XCB

RiverShock

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:46 PM

Keep in mind also that it's basically just LOB and MRD that have Commons that terrible. Most of the other sets have a decent number of Commons that aren't worthless, meaning that you've got a good chance of getting at least SOMETHING you can use. I can see your point, though, the number of worthless cards in DB1 is much lower than those of LOB/MRD/SRL/PSV. But again, the set's larger, so if you ARE, say, aiming for an Upstart Goblin, you're about 3 times more likely to pull one in SRL than DB1. A little less extreme with the holos, but you're twice as likely to get Dark Hole from LOB than DB1. I guess the trade-off is that with LOB, you can pull something god-awful like Celtic Guardian or Curse of Dragon, whereas in DB1, it's going to be more along the lines of Blue-Eyes Toon Dragon or The Masked Beast, somewhat bad, but potentially usable.

#28 storyteller Oldies When a story comes to an end... 3365 posts 339.00 XCB

storyteller

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:04 PM

To address the concern of banned cards, I think a lot of the earliest constructed tournaments, we'll be playing under traditional rules (banned = limited), so they will be usable... To a degree.

#29 storyteller Oldies When a story comes to an end... 3365 posts 339.00 XCB

storyteller

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:50 AM

Let's say for now that DB1 and 2 are allowed, and we'll see from there.
And since most of you haven't expressed a major problem with the rarity ratios, I'll leave them as is for now.

Edit: Nope. Never mind. I tried generating a few packs and there are waaaaay too many problematic cards in the supers for this to be allowed.

Edited by storyteller, 04 November 2015 - 06:09 AM.

#30 TheLaughingMan-JDS Ancient One Chivalrous Shark 15255 posts 227.00 XCB

TheLaughingMan-JDS

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:18 AM

"Designed for beginners, every pack has 12 cards—instead of the normal 9and a "Tip Card", which has a special tip to increase your game knowledge. Dark Beginning (and all other Reprint Packs) always contain 6 Monster Cards, 3 Trap Cards, 3 Spell Cards, 1 Tip Card and 1 or even 2 rares."

The rares just being counted among the listed setup. Not sure what you'd have to do to generate all that though.

#31 storyteller Oldies When a story comes to an end... 3365 posts 339.00 XCB

storyteller

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:51 AM

Hm. I didn't even consider they had different distribution. I just went with the usual 6 common 2 rare 1 super+.

Either case, the supers in DB1 are too problematic. Dark Hole, MST, Delinquent Duo, etc.

Chance of hitting one of the better ones is actually pretty darned high.

#32 RiverShock Ancient One XC's Official Setmaker 4474 posts 86.00 XCB

RiverShock

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:00 AM

Only half the Supers of DB1 are good, though. DB2's aren't even that impressive aside from Mirror Force, Heavy Storm, Decree, Creature Swap and Solemn Judgment, and DB2's in particular are riddled by terrible cards like Susa Soldier, Time Wizard and Great Dezard.

I almost feel like the real problem is just that LOB-LON or so are terrible, but have some good cards. I find it interesting that most of your problems with DB1 disappear if forbidden cards are, well, forbidden, lol. Without them, DB1's chase Supers are reduced to Dark Hole, Call, Swords, and MST, with a small number of others like Nobleman of Crossout, Ceasefire and Megamorph making the gamble more enticing. (Also interesting how that renders DB1's Ultra pool really, really bad. You have Raigeki, Torrential, Mage Power, UWS and I guess maybe Jinzo and Exodia?)

#33 storyteller Oldies When a story comes to an end... 3365 posts 339.00 XCB

storyteller

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:06 AM

That line up still sound better than what you'd find almost anywhere else, though.

As for the format, the participants have so little access to cards, I didn't want to restrict that even further, see?

Looking further, stuff like Dark Revelation 1-4 is really, really tame compared to DB1 and 2.

If it were something along those lines I'd have no trouble allowing.

It's just that you have such a concentration of the best cards between DB1 and 2 and not as much risk that I'm really, really, against allowing them.

Like, I want you to be able to use the cards you get, but I also don't want you to be able to just pick up staples like they're nothing.

Which is why I actually like how the LoB~ packs are. They have some of the best stuff in the game, but are easily the riskiest packs to go for.

Edited by storyteller, 04 November 2015 - 09:23 AM.

#34 RiverShock Ancient One XC's Official Setmaker 4474 posts 86.00 XCB

RiverShock

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:33 AM

I suppose you're right, but I see it more as an argument for making getting packs like LOB worth it, rather than DB1 being overpowered.

Rarities for the good cards are all over the place, though.

Interesting fact, a little over a third (just under half if you disregard cards that didn't debut in packs) of all the forbidden cards on the new TCG banlist debuted in the TCG as Rare or Common, and a further 11 (out of 73 total cards) were Super. Only FIVE were Secret.

Not sure what point I was trying to make there, heh.

#35 RiverShock Ancient One XC's Official Setmaker 4474 posts 86.00 XCB

RiverShock

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:07 AM

I'll take a Tactical Evolution.

#36 Yami Stomach Oldies Wut 9370 posts 688.00 XCB

Yami Stomach
  • Interests:Who gives a shit.

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:03 AM

Gimme a Shadow of Infinity

#37 TheLaughingMan-JDS Ancient One Chivalrous Shark 15255 posts 227.00 XCB

TheLaughingMan-JDS

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:07 PM