Photo
- - - - - 15 replies to this topic

Let's Core On!

mechanic, core, fanfic

• Please log in to reply

#1 El Zeta Oldies Sir Post-a-lot 331 posts 16.00 XCB

El Zeta
  • Location:In a place of the world whose name... well, kinda shitty is it...

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:17 PM

Excerpt from my fan-made idea for a Yu-Gi-Oh! story featuring something... new, to say at least:

Jouji tok a deep breath and saw the card he just blindly pulled out from his deck and was surprised. Yes, it was his Kuroneko, but he looked... different.

Golden marking on his body. Golden eyes instead of green.

Then he recalled where he saw the markings in its body from and noticed the card's background.

"Hurry up, kid," called Tayama, "I know you can only use your Kuroneko, so hurry up and call it so I can crush it."

Jouji looked at the creatures he still had in his side of the field: his baby sis's Akaneko and his big bro's Shironeko, both DEF 0 due to the effect of the Indestructible Airship Hindenkraft and Elemental HERO Electrum, both with Big Bang Shot equipped. To make it worse, his deck was mostly high level monsters with little to no spells, and besides the Mask of Restrict, there's Royal Oppression to keep him from summoning his power houses, specially given the difference in LP, as Jouji had 300 and Tayama had still his 4000, thanks to Solemn Wishes. At the eyes of the attendants on the stadium, he was gonna lose the match badly as soon as his turn was ended. All Tayama saw, thanks to his computer's predictions and simulations, was Jouji's defeat. Technicians even confirmed it with a 100% chance of victory in the next turn.

But computers need data input to work. And that data can be faulty.

"I know you can only play your father's Kuroneko or your sister's Aoneko and the latter's effect won't help you at all," exclaimed Tayama, convinced of his victory, "You can summon it and lose the honorable way like your friends here," he points to Yuka and the girls, all wearing the cheerleader outfits with TayamaTech logo on it and the controlling visors, "or you can just give up, like the coward you had always been. Admit it, you're just a little kitten, hidden behind the shadow of your father. You only wanted to be like him, using his deck to win as he did, but you have no idea of what true power is! You're just a-!"

"Yes, I know, a little black kitten, like my father's card, yada-yada..." He pulls out from his back deck a card and tosses it to Tayama's open hand. He looks at it and the card is his father's Kuroneko, even with the signature in the art box of Yugi Muto, much to everybody's surprise. "You can keep it..." He heads to put his hand over his deck to forfeit, but suddenly his hand moves to the back side of the disk, opening the Core Port in there, shocking the people watching, even his big brother.

"W-W-Wha... You have a Core Disk?! B-B-Bu-!"

"Tayama's right: Can't win with my father's old Deck. So, I got me some new claws for it..." Jouji reveals his recently card, which draws another shock gasp from everybody around, much to his chagrin. "People, you're overdoing it..." The card has the infamous red stripe in the middle and Kuroneko sports the golden markings Yuka's Core Nymph Allair and the other Core Monsters sports.

"B-B-But..." Tayama stammers confused, "That's impossible!!! H-H-H-How...?" He looks at his technicians who are just as confused as him.

"Don't feel that bad: The face scanning in the entry didn't difference it either. Something about the alternate art or something among those lines" said a calm Jouji.

This caused one of the technicians to facepalm and type, revealing the scan of the deck and showing the card. "The computer saw the art and, due to the matching pose and stats, it decided it was a regular Kuroneko with alternative art, like his father's, but the full scan... well, look by yourself, sir." The screen shows to everybody the card's full face as it updated the scan:

Kuroneko Sky. It was still a normal monster card, level 3, 1200/1000, but it had another text: "This cat stopped playing around and decided to face his fear of heights. His courage was rewarded with new wings that put him soaring beyond everything else". The worst part for Tayama was that is had a Core Monster effect: "When this card is Core Summoned, banish all cards in all Spell and Trap Zones. At the end of your Standby Phase, send all face-up cards in the Spell and Trap Zone to the bottom of their owner's deck." Tayama paled at the cards effect, specially when he saw the card's Core Level: 2. Tayama looked at Jouji's field: Akaneko. Shironeko. Two cards, all needed for a level 2 Core Monster to enter.

The judge of the tournament cleared his throat. "So... Jouji Yuu..." The young boy looked at the man. "Is that the same care you had in your deck in the entry duels?" Jouji nodded. "And that Core Disk... is the same one that got registered and approved by the personnel here?" He nodded again, as two technicians gulped and scratched their heads nervously, which wasn't lost on the judge. "Well... in the light of these events, we have nothing else to validate the use of the card and the disk."

"You can't be serious!" Tayama ragingly cried to the Judge. "That card AND Disk should be banned at sight-!"

"Except they weren't. And by the face he had when he pulled it, he didn't knew of this, otherwise he would had told us he had it before something like this could happen. Also, once the deck AND disk are approved and no tampering is registered during the tournament, nothing can be said."

"But-"

"It's too late and he had already made it to quarter-finals... by sheer luck, I must say." This made Jouji sweatdrop. "He won this place and nothing you can say will change it." Tayama was gonna talk, but the Judge's booming voice stopped him. "The Judge had spoken! Proceed with the duel, gentlemen."

"There you have it: it's all legal from here!" The announcer cheered, which brought everybody back to the pressing matters. "We had only heard about this revolutionary mechanic from sighting, but now, it will be out and center!" Everybody was watching, even Prof. Haine, from his cell, with a grin in his face. "This is the first official appearance of the Core Summon!"

"Okay, Let's Core On!" Hiro and Ani groaned at their brother's "battlecry", which made him sweatdrop. "Gomen..." Jouji's slots Kuroneko Sky in the Core Port and, soon enough, his body began to glow. He began to get shorter, but also his skin got filled with tribal markings. His clothing became black fur which began to cover his body. Before anyone had a chance to even blink, Jouji had changed.

Black fur. Golden Markings. Black wings where his backpack used to be, big claws in hands and feet. And the cute feline face, much to his dismay. Outside of his deck, he looked like a splitting image of his evolved fave card. Jouji, the Kuroneko Sky.

"Wow! Impressive, apparently, Jouji Yuu got somehow transformed into the card he just played!" The screen shows the card as if it were located right in behind the Spell and Trap Zone. It also shows that his 300 LP were now located under a value named CP of 700, which matches the one in the card.

He admired himself all over. "Alright, this is weird... I feel like..." A deep glare got in his face. "... like I wanna shred this field open! NYA!" A slash in the air and all active spells cards, where sent flying off the field. Yes, Jouji lost the Buster Rancher that was equipped to his Shironeko, but Tayama lost all of his cards, not only his traps and his equips, but also the monsters equipped with the Big Bang Shot cards. All, in one flick of a claw, so to call it.

Well, lo and behold, this is my idea: Core Monsters!

The idea of this is based on a dream I had, which stems from three places:

• Magic: The Gathering. Specifically their signature mechanic, the Planeswalkers, which sometimes act as proxies of the players, taking hits for them and all that.
  • Yu-Gi-Oh: Enter the Shadow Realm (Virtual World arc). This part of the series has a Deck Master mechanic, monsters that have abilities that work from outside the field (technically, the Deck Master Zone doesn't exist in the field).
    • Also, in said arc, the Big 5, the minor villains, use their Duel Masters as their own avatars, as their bodies were destroyed when they tried to defeat Kaiba before, during the Legendary Heroes arc (you know, the one with a princess that looks like Mokuba (Goddamn Seto, embarrassing your own brother...))
  • The Pendulum Zones. Zones outside the regular grid. The first change in the field layout since... well, Series 1! Also, ruling for cards outside the Monster Zone

With all this combined, I thought on the idea for a new mechanic because I'm a crazy bastard. The idea is, as you saw above, card monsters you can turn into.

Let's Define On!

• Core Monsters: They are the monsters that can be Core Summoned while on the field or in the hand. These monsters can be Normal, Effect, Fusion, Synchro or Xyz monsters as well. They have Core Effects, Core Points and Core Level stated in their cards alongside their regular stats.
  • Active Core Monster: A Core Monster that had been Core Summoned into the Core Zone. As such, this monster is considered another player regarding other cards' effects.
  • Core Effects: These effects are special effects that Core Monsters have. These only are active while the Core Monster is active on the Core Zone.
  • Core Points (CP): These represent the "life" of the Core Monster. When a Core Monster had been Core Summoned, these points act like the LPs of the players and are affected by effects that target a player's LP. For example, any piercing damage will hit on these points and when these get down to 0, the Core monster will be destroyed. These CP "reset" whenever the monster is Core Summoned. Player's LP are left untouched since the last Core Summon.
  • Core Level (CL): These are the points that state the "level limit" for the Core Summon and the Core Down Summon to occur. It acts only when either of these would happen, acting as a comparison point to the amount of the monsters in the field. It can be from 0 to 5.
  • Core Zone: This is the place where the Core Monsters are "active". While here, the Active Core Monsters will be targeted as "players" and any effect that targets a player's LP will instead target the Core Monster's CP. Physically, this single zone would be located behind the center Spell and Trap Zone, right in front of the player.
  • Core Summon: This is the act of placing a Core Monster into the Core Zone from the hand. This requires the player to control at least an amount of monsters equal to the Core Monster's Core Level. Thus, this is the only way to summon a CL5 Core Monster. Regarding to other cards, this is the activation of a Speed 1 Spell Card of an unknown type, so no summon responses or enters-the-field responses will trigger, but other spells can be chained on.
  • Core Up Summon: This is the act of placing a core Monster in the Core Zone from the field. Has the same requirements than the regular Core Summon. In addition to Speed 1 Spells, this triggers leaves-the-field responses as well.
  • Core Down Summon: This is the counterpart to the Core Up Summon and its the act of placing the Active Core Monster in the Monster Zone from the Core Zone. It's a Normal Summon (uses the Normal Summon slot in the turn), so it doesn't trigger responses to Special Summons, but it does trigger enter-the-field responses.
  • Core Off: This is the response-version of the Core Down Summon. It happens naturally at the Standby Phase when no monsters are in the player's field. This one is a Card Effect that can be negated, which would make the Core Monster remain Active until the next Standby Phase.

Now, some examples:

Sakuya, the Leaf Dancer | LIGHT

Lv.3

[IMAGE]

-

All WATER and EARTH monsters you control gain 500 ATK and lose 400 DEF. All FIRE monsters your opponent controls lose 500 ATK and gain 400 DEF.|CP: 600/CL: 4

-

[Fairy/Core/Effect]
When a WATER monster enters the field, this card gains 100 DEF. You can have this card decrease its DEF for 100 or more: increase its ATK for the same value.

-

ATK 300/DEF 500

Kuroneko Sky | DARK

Lv.3

[IMAGE]

-

When this card is Core Summoned, banish all cards in all Spell and Trap Zones. At the end of your Standby Phase, send all face-up cards in the Spell and Trap Zone to the bottom of their owner's deck.|CP: 700/CNV: 2

-

[Beast/Core]
This cat stopped playing around and decided to face his fear of heights. His courage was rewarded with new wings that put him soaring beyond everything else.

-

ATK 1200/DEF 1100

So, wha'cha think?

Edited by El Zeta, 12 October 2015 - 10:18 PM.

#2 Gerdat14 Oldies Some Dude 2690 posts 159.00 XCB

Gerdat14
  • Interests:Dueling with YVD and playing illegal games with my blanket.. don't ask...

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:57 AM

I think granting normal monster status is a bit too confusing, as I also dislike the current run of morphing Planeswalkers. Also, I would honestly prefer anything resembling the Deck Master mechanic to be based more in line with Vanilla Monsters instead, since Effect monsters getting into the Deck Master slot was always confusing. You've clearly thought about this a lot, but these examples are terribly tiny. 600 and 700 means they both die to any direct damage spell or trap we use currently, and if it were going to be like Loyalty counters, they'd need to be a spendable and obtainable resource. Just my opinion, though, since i am terrible at card design.

#3 El Zeta Oldies Sir Post-a-lot 331 posts 16.00 XCB

El Zeta

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:20 PM

I think granting normal monster status is a bit too confusing, as I also dislike the current run of morphing Planeswalkers. Also, I would honestly prefer anything resembling the Deck Master mechanic to be based more in line with Vanilla Monsters instead, since Effect monsters getting into the Deck Master slot was always confusing. You've clearly thought about this a lot, but these examples are terribly tiny. 600 and 700 means they both die to any direct damage spell or trap we use currently, and if it were going to be like Loyalty counters, they'd need to be a spendable and obtainable resource. Just my opinion, though, since i am terrible at card design.

Yeah, I kid you not, I thought on this idea BEFORE the DFC Planeswalkers came in. Honestly, though, the reason for having effect monsters as Core Monsters was because there are already Effect Monsters which are Pendulum Monsters as well. Basically the Core Effects on an Core Effect Monster work like the Pendulum Effects in a Pendulum Effect Monster, it depends on the zone it's located.

Yes, the examples are tiny, and the first one is pretty much a dead card on walking, specially with the high Core Level, but however, not all of them are meant to be a permanent solution, most are only to cover points from a potential OTK. In fact, THAT is what I had in mind: The monster suffers the OTK, but the player still remains.

And no, the CP are nothing like Loyalty. In fact, the only parallelism between Planeswalkers and Core Monsters is the fact that a PW can take direct damage to itself instead of the player and that their death doesn't mean the lose of the duel, but the rest of the mechanics are different. For examples, Planeswalkers are in the field, Active Core Monsters are not. In fact, Core Monsters are closer to Duel Masters in design (in fact, Core, Masters and Pendulum have the same dual effect nature), but while Pendulum Monsters are like portals and Duel Masters are like Helpers, Core Masters are more like Avatars.

I'm aware the small CP of both cards, that needs to be fixed.

#4 Exarion Team XC Pretty Face 5159 posts 202.00 XCB

Exarion
  • Interests:Just let me sleep.

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:12 PM

Hey, welcome back~

That's very interesting, I like how you exploited the Pendulum mechanics to create those awesome Deck Masters.

I didn't understand the Core Off action. And for the Core Down, do Level 5+ monsters need their tributes?

One more thing, I think this should have been posted on Creative Writing. Jesse will move it if so. :b

#5 storyteller Oldies When a story comes to an end... 3365 posts 339.00 XCB

storyteller

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:35 PM

If anything, these are more like Commander-Walkers from EDH, or whatever those cards are called from Force of Will.

Your second example has a CNV but no CL, and CNV is never explained.

What is CNV?

Edited by storyteller, 13 October 2015 - 08:36 PM.

#6 Exarion Team XC Pretty Face 5159 posts 202.00 XCB

Exarion
  • Interests:Just let me sleep.

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:40 PM

Probably the same thing, but translated to Spanish (and Portuguese, lol) "nível".

#7 El Zeta Oldies Sir Post-a-lot 331 posts 16.00 XCB

El Zeta

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:45 PM

Hey, welcome back~

That's very interesting, I like how you exploited the Pendulum mechanics to create those awesome Deck Masters.

I didn't understand the Core Off action. And for the Core Down, do Level 5+ monsters need their tributes?

One more thing, I think this should have been posted on Creative Writing. Jesse will move it if so. :b

Thanks for the vote of confidence. About the Core Off, it's an automatic response to the lack of monsters in field. If there are no monsters in field, the Core Monster will be automatically brought down to the battlefield in the next Standby Phase. It's a card effect, so Light and Darkness Dragon can negate it. About the Core Down -and I think this would be interesting- I thought on something else: when a Core Monster is Core Down Summoned, it must be placed on top of an existing monster of lower level. When the overlaid Core Monster is destroyed in battle, it will go to the graveyard while its "host" will remain in the field.

And thanks for the tip. Honestly, I had no idea where this should had been, so if it has to be moved, let it be, then.

If anything, these are more like Commander-Walkers from EDH, or whatever those cards are called from Force of Will.

Your second example has a CNV but no CL, and CNV is never explained.

What is CNV?

As said by Exarion, it's the same thing as CL, but is was misplaced. The label is not really important, that part will be in diamonds in the proper card.

#8 warrain Ancient One The Force is here 2446 posts 157.00 XCB

warrain
  • Interests:Games: video, and TCGs. TV, and sleeping.

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:12 PM

I do like the idea of this. but as a slight ocd-y picky note.... the explanation of it was very confusing. Like maybe you want them to do just a little too much. especially in terms of things on the card itself. It'll be pretty crowded. like if you did away with the core-down portion. just made it where if you core summon it... then it'll be there until removed by another card effect like pendulum monsters in the pendulum zones. That way if the effect isn't being of use.. then you're stuck with it and you need to plan ahead with what you put there better... like Pendulum monsters. lol 

#9 El Zeta Oldies Sir Post-a-lot 331 posts 16.00 XCB

El Zeta

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:18 PM

I do like the idea of this. but as a slight ocd-y picky note.... the explanation of it was very confusing. Like maybe you want them to do just a little too much. especially in terms of things on the card itself. It'll be pretty crowded. like if you did away with the core-down portion. just made it where if you core summon it... then it'll be there until removed by another card effect like pendulum monsters in the pendulum zones. That way if the effect isn't being of use.. then you're stuck with it and you need to plan ahead with what you put there better... like Pendulum monsters. lol 

Well, maybe, yeah. The thing is, I wanted them to fluctuate between being active and on the field. I know I have clean up to do, specially in the Core Down. Mmm... maybe a Special Summon may be better in that aspect, then. One that would need to pay a cost, which I still need to settle... any ideas?

#10 warrain Ancient One The Force is here 2446 posts 157.00 XCB

warrain

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:29 PM

well... you could do it like a union monster... just once per turn you can either core summon or special summon the active core monster to the field in attack position. that way it'll have the weakness of being a special summon (black horn of heaven) but still be something you can control it better and switch them up once per turn. no need to make it a cost to return it to the field, just a once per turn limit so you can't go back and forth over and over abusing effects.

#11 El Zeta Oldies Sir Post-a-lot 331 posts 16.00 XCB

El Zeta

Posted 16 October 2015 - 05:33 PM

well... you could do it like a union monster... just once per turn you can either core summon or special summon the active core monster to the field in attack position. that way it'll have the weakness of being a special summon (black horn of heaven) but still be something you can control it better and switch them up once per turn. no need to make it a cost to return it to the field, just a once per turn limit so you can't go back and forth over and over abusing effects.

I was thinking on that, actually, not abusing it. However, I thought on something different. Once per turn, the active Core Monster may attack while still being an active Core Monster. In the anime (or fan story, in this case) it would mean the duelist himself goes to fight. The Core Monster will still take damage to his CP in that case and his Core Monster effects will take effect instead of his regular effects. Core Down, in fact, may not happen at all.

Now, a support card:

Core Re-Tuning | SPELL

(Normal)

[IMAGE]

-

Sacrifice your active Core monster to target 1 Core Monster in your deck with Core Level equal or lesser than the amount of monsters in field; Core Summon that monster ignoring other summoning conditions

-

#12 warrain Ancient One The Force is here 2446 posts 157.00 XCB

warrain

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:46 AM

slight question on the card you just shared... why is it worded in the original (convoluted and confusing) manner?? lol just saying could've reworded that for the updated text.

Core Re-Tuning

Normal Spell

[IMAGE]

-

Tribute your active Core monster:  target 1 Core Monster in your deck with a Core Level less than to equal to the number of monsters you control; Core Summon the targeted monster ignoring the summoning conditions.

#13 TheLaughingMan-JDS Ancient One Chivalrous Shark 15255 posts 227.00 XCB

TheLaughingMan-JDS

Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:33 AM

Since you can't actually target cards in the Main Deck, wouldn't it be more like:

Core Re-Tuning

Normal Spell

[IMAGE]

-

Tribute your active Core monster;  Core Summon 1 Core Monster from your Deck with a Core Level less than or equal to the number of monsters you control, ignoring the Summoning conditions.

#14 El Zeta Oldies Sir Post-a-lot 331 posts 16.00 XCB

El Zeta

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:38 PM

Since you can't actually target cards in the Main Deck, wouldn't it be more like:

Core Re-Tuning

Normal Spell

[IMAGE]

-

Tribute your active Core monster;  Core Summon 1 Core Monster from your Deck with a Core Level less than or equal to the number of monsters you control, ignoring the Summoning conditions.

That's better, I'll take it. And sorry, I got a bit rusty.

About a critic I got a little above, about some cards I made, have to rethink it all:

Kuroneko Sky | DARK

Lv.3

[IMAGE]

-

When this card is Core Summoned, banish all cards in all Spell and Trap Zones. At the end of your Standby Phase, send all face-up cards in the Spell and Trap Zone to the bottom of their owner's deck.|CP: 700/CL: 2

-

[Beast/Core]
This cat stopped playing around and decided to face his fear of heights. His courage was rewarded with new wings that put him soaring beyond everything else.

-

ATK 1200/DEF 1100

Leaf Mistress Sakuya | LIGHT

Lv.8

[IMAGE]

-

All WATER and EARTH monsters you control gain 500 ATK and lose 400 DEF. All FIRE monsters your opponent controls lose 500 ATK and gain 400 DEF.|CP: 2000/CL: 4

-

[Fairy/Core/Effect]
When a WATER monster enters the field, this card gains 100 DEF. Once per turn: you can have this card lose up to 1000 DEF; this card gains ATK by the same amount.

-

ATK 1800/DEF 1500

Hope not too OP...

#15 storyteller Oldies When a story comes to an end... 3365 posts 339.00 XCB

storyteller

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:12 PM

I've been wondering why the Heavy Storm variant is CL2 while the conditional ATK/DEF moderation is CL4.

#16 El Zeta Oldies Sir Post-a-lot 331 posts 16.00 XCB

El Zeta

Posted 22 October 2015 - 09:46 PM

I've been wondering why the Heavy Storm variant is CL2 while the conditional ATK/DEF moderation is CL4.

Because when the latter was made, the CL was meant to be the combined level of the other monsters in field, but then I decided it was gonna be too much star around when I decided on making it a star. Now that I think about it, I need to fix that out. For example, making the CL4 into a CL1, while making her CP a bit lower, maybe 1200. For the CL2, the first drawback is the low amount of CP it has, the second one is how hard would it be to make it Core Up if he's on the field, given its low ATK/DEF may make him sauce before he can do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users