Photo
- - - - - 14 replies to this topic

XC's New Forum Structure?

• Please log in to reply

#1 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5516 posts 431.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:45 PM

Hey guys! It's time for me to give you my first idea as the new head admin.

Before Gren reignited the forums with his post, most people said that this site was dead. Well, it was. Only a couple of threads would be replied to every day, so those that opened the forum's homepage would see a load of forums with no new content. This made the site just feel desolate, even if there was content to read.

So how do you solve this problem? Well, you could recruit new members to speak in the other forums. Not only would the site feel more active, it would be more active. In an ideal world, that's the solution we want to take. But for now, it is our goal. 

The other option is to reduce the number of forums, and hence reduce the number of unused forums. The site should then feel like more of it is being used - like it's not actually so barren. We can fill up XC with threads, not forums. 

So a lot of the current forums will be merging, and a few will be getting removed altogether. If activity in one forum is too much and calls for a reseparation or a subforum, then that will be done at the time.

So, without further ado, here's my proposed new structure for XC:

Xerocreative Main

- Site News

- Community 

-- Introductions & Farewells

-- Helpdesk

Games

- Card Games

- Video Games

- Forum Games

Other Discussion

- General Discussion

- Creative Corner

- Blogs

- Archive

Perhaps the biggest change is the fusion of the Yugioh and M:TG forum. It's pretty much still the Yugioh forum, except any occasional thread to do with another card game will go there too. This makes it easy for a thread to be about Pokemon TCG, or Hearthstone, or Force of Will, etc.

Aside from that, all our creative powers are condensed into one forum - the creative corner. This is for art, writing, graphics, code, music, you name it. The Xerocreative Main category loses a lot of junk too. 

And finally, the archive. There's a big question to ask about the future of XC, and it's about its past. Do we archive the inactive threads and start anew? Or do we keep it as is for everyone to see - including any potential new members. 

Let me know what you think below. What do you think about the structure, and what's your stance on the archive?

Jesse

#2 Yami Stomach Oldies Wut 9440 posts 690.00 XCB

Yami Stomach
  • Interests:Who gives a shit.

Posted 04 October 2015 - 02:02 AM

For the old threads get rid of anything involving excessive flaming (hi there Future of XC part 3) otherwise i see no reason to delete them

also you should totally put "On motorcycles" in brackets as the desc for Card Games

#3 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5516 posts 431.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:25 AM

They won't be deleted, they'll be archived. Does that change your opinion?

#4 Exarion Team XC Pretty Face 5159 posts 202.00 XCB

Exarion
  • Interests:Just let me sleep.

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

I like the Archive idea. There are MANY outdated topics that occasionally get new posts and it makes us sad (specially the ones related to YVD).

#5 Yami Stomach Oldies Wut 9440 posts 690.00 XCB

Yami Stomach

Posted 04 October 2015 - 12:58 PM

the archive idea is great and all but the kind of crap that was going on in the "Future of XC" topics. part 3 especially was uncalled for and frankly childish

admittedly i was involved in some of that and i apologise.

#6 Gren Team XC That One Guy 5678 posts 143.00 XCB

Gren
  • Interests:Interests? What interests?

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:51 PM

Still think, as Kryos mentioned, that we should have a separate subforum for decks. It would get too cluttered in the long run. It's only one minor change, otherwise I think the layout as it is after the change is fine. Older decks that haven't been updated can get archived.

#7 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5516 posts 431.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:38 PM

I agree, but then I disagree. First and foremost, any change I made is reversible so I am more than happy to bring the Deck Depot back.

However, the logic isn't there for me. At the moment, the Yugioh forum isn't cluttered, even with the decks in them. Any thread a person wants to see is still accessible and on the first page of the Yugioh forum. 

The problems with thinking about it being "cluttered in the long run" is that: 

• All the decks that have stopped receiving posts will have been pushed down to the bottom or second page - that is not clutter. No one will see it.
  • Why give the Deck Depot space now, if no one posts decks at this moment in time? I understand there have been a couple recently, but as I said, it doesn't cause clutter in the Yugioh forum.

When people post a lot of decks, it will be worth having another subforum specifically for that. But until that day, I want to fill forums with threads, and not with other empty forums.

And once again, just reiterating that I'll still take it under consideration, cause you guys' feedback is valued highly.

#8 L o t u s Oldies Bitch I Might Be 1735 posts 188.00 XCB

L o t u s
  • Interests:Sex.

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:33 PM

>No sub-forum for Smash.

oh.

#9 Knowbie Ancient One Pro Orthodoxy 4066 posts 17.00 XCB

Knowbie

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:19 PM

It's a shame that these sorts of questions of whether a post requires a sub-forum cannot be solved with identifying tags that group series of posts together under the major sub-forums.

#10 Bladers Ancient One Sir Post-a-lot 443 posts 22.00 XCB

Bladers

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:24 PM

This is dumb. the forum and site is dead. This is pointless.

I can save it though.

I have been working on something during my hobby hours with Unreal Engine. Don't quite have the exact direction that i want to go with it.

But it deals with a life size duel arena

Edited by Bladers, 29 October 2015 - 04:27 PM.

#11 Yami Stomach Oldies Wut 9440 posts 690.00 XCB

Yami Stomach

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:43 PM

This is dumb.  

Nope

the forum and site is dead. This is pointless.

Wrong

I can save it though.

Go ahead

I have been working on something during my hobby hours with Unreal Engine. Don't quite have the exact direction that i want to go with it.

Sounds Awesome

#12 Gren Team XC That One Guy 5678 posts 143.00 XCB

Gren
  • Interests:Interests? What interests?

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:22 PM

I can save it though.

I'm not going to go around and stir things up, but if you think it's pointless, why even bother making a contribution? There is some things going on behind the scenes that I can't mention but I wouldn't consider us out  of the count. The direction with all these "revival" attempts were just something that couldn't be done. I think DarkBlaze was the only worthy contender but with the amount of negativity going on, he was just getting stressed (which may or may not of been the case, just how I saw it). I have some plans going forward but right now we need to focus on one thing that will bring people in and not a mound of projects that will have everyone confused to as what's going on. Baby steps. Throwing too much on the plate is going to get us nowhere. Recreate an identity, stick with it to draw more people in or bring people back, then add something new. We've all moved on from YVD and accepted it's death. Jesse and storyteller are doing a great job trying to keep people interested. I want to expand more into M:TG. It's a dream that I could achieve with a little time, effort, and dedication. I'm sure someone is going to ask why I'm not a mod or admin or whatever since bringing these ideas on board. Right now, time is something I can't control. After my cancer treatment is finished, I can dedicate more time into this place. I was planning on raiding in WoW again but since the guild I was in died until next expansion, I can really put some time in here.

There was some that told me I should just move on and leave this place behind. Sadly, I can't. Most of my past came from this place and I would like to be the one to say "Yeah I was that asshole troll back in the day but look, people can change and do great things!" It was a pleasure to be able to finally get a moderator position as the M:TG mod for a while but life took over. It happens. However, the way I have my life planned out on stone now, I want to put more of my resources here. It's not dead. Just needs a purpose again.

TL:DR I care for this place too much to let it die. It's not dead. If you have nothing positive to say then don't say anything at all. Honestly, there's been more activity here then when Setever tried to do too many things at once.

His ideas were good on paper, but were they needed? If there's one thing I learned in life it's question everything. Gives you a better understanding of the situation. 

#13 Dragonheart91 Oldies Flachtonitek Weuchsowagam (Knowledge Seeker) 4852 posts 6.00 XCB

Dragonheart91

Posted 30 October 2015 - 04:56 AM

This is a pretty cool community with a lot of great people. I mostly fell out of Yugioh, but I would enjoy being active again in the future and engaging with a lot of you guys if we moved into other games and hobbies I enjoy.

#14 storyteller Oldies When a story comes to an end... 3365 posts 339.00 XCB

storyteller

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:39 AM

Hey, Dragonheart! It's been a while.
Do poke your head into the roll call and interest check thread in community and let us know the stuff you're interested in right now, when feel like it.

#15 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5516 posts 431.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:35 PM

I can save it though.

Hmmm. Not a very persuasive argument now, is it? Let's insult someone's efforts and then try and lure them back in with some confidence in an idea you thought of. I think rather than one person taking the helm of XC, we should work together. If you have an idea, don't post it in this thread. This isn't where general ideas go. If you want to talk about a project you've been working on, we have both a Yugioh forum and a Creative Corner forum, either of which could house such a topic. You're more than welcome to try again, and try to be more cooperative. If you do, I'll ignore your post entirely and try and cooperate too.

For the record, you know what keeps this community alive? The community itself. Not Yugioh. A bunch of us don't play the game any more, and if we do, it's very casual. XeroCreative and its own dueling applications are no more. XeroCreative is, for the moment, just a damn amazing community. That's what brings us back here.

This is a pretty cool community with a lot of great people. I mostly fell out of Yugioh, but I would enjoy being active again in the future and engaging with a lot of you guys if we moved into other games and hobbies I enjoy.

Hey, that's awesome. We have plans to try some new games together, and there's always room for mafias and other games. You might not have continued Yugioh, but maybe some of the casual tournaments (literally every tournament is casual, lol) we do here may interest you anyway, but only you can decide that.

Good to see you back though, hope you stick around!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users