Photo
- - - - - 28 replies to this topic

Want to revive the forums? Here's some ideas...

• Please log in to reply

#1 Gren Team XC That One Guy 5678 posts 143.00 XCB

Gren
  • Interests:Interests? What interests?

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:13 AM

Might as well get this down while it's still somewhat fresh in my mind. Some of these will come to most as "Well duh" but hear me out.

First off, in order for any of this to even have a slim chance of succeeding, everyone has to work as a unit. IE: Teamwork! I know, I know. Secondly, I'm not going to push for it until I get my computer fixed. This laptop can only do so much. I'm hoping tomorrow but anything can happen.

So what do I have in mind? Expansion. Moving beyond most people's comfort zones. Take a step back and look at us. Do you honestly believe this site can be revived just with Yu-Gi-Oh! as a base? Maybe. With YVD still in it's reigns? Absolutely not. Just accept it. YVD is dead. Deader then anything. Deader then the dead horse I use to beat in between meals. I don't follow Yu-Gi-Oh! anymore so someone is going to have to bring me up to speed on other dueling applications. I'm aware of DevPro and DN, but those are the only two I know about (and I would just assume the only two that matter). So we can use one or both as a base to find opponents. We can still make this a dueling site, a trading site, a whatever we used to be without YVD. I know someone is going to come out and say "XC was founded on YVD." True, but XC was founded upon the idea of people being creative. We can still make other applications or art or anything really. And why does it have to be YGO? There are other TCG's out there. I'm becoming more and more active in the M:TG community and trying to learn Modern and Standard, as well as Legacy as I generally play Commander. I'm trying to expand into applications like cockatrice, maybe take a look at M:TG Online, delve into the steam games (which are not limited to), go beyond the limit of knowledge for the game. Even rulings. Hell, playing in Commander pods at my LGS gives me new information everytime I play. And not just M:TG. Cardfight Vanguard, Chaotic, Duel Masters (is it dead?), Force of Will (which is trending), Legend of the Five Rings (for you old people), Netrunner, Pokemon TCG (which has picked up a lot of steam recently), Warcraft (TCG is dead, but Hearthstone exists). All these are available. Pick the big three: YGO, M:TG, Pokemon. If we (the XC community) want to exist as a TCG site, these would be the three to use. As a fourth, use a other TCG forum. I know Force of Will is becoming popular (how much is still unknown to me), and some people still play Duel Masters and LotFR. Or just make subforums for a community vote on which other TCG's we can showcase. However, I don't think TCG's will be enough.

Expanding beyond TCG's is what I'm after. Gaming, art, developers (one can dream can't they?), etc. There is always an artistic part of any community, so art is a given, but gaming can be brought in and expanded over time. So we have two sections. TCG and Games. Expanding into the TCG community is easy... well easier then the gaming community. Both require effort. Advertise, but be discrete about it. We don't want to take people away. We want to bring new people in and have another place to go for others. Anyway, back to my point. Some ways to expand into gaming is tournaments for certain games like Team Fortress 2, Hearthstone, WoW (Arenas or even raiding), CS:GO, League of Legends, etc, etc. I wouldn't start too big. Start small. Maybe one or two games to start then expand once we gather more people in. Streaming can also help. I stream games and can advertise that way. Having active streamers is another way to bring in people, though picking up popularity that way is also another challenge in itself.

So reshifting the topic a bit, having too large of a focus will be too overwhelming for new people, but having a small focus will only lock ourselves to a specific group of people while having no expansion at all. I think the problem that XC had over time was it never really expanded (though it certainly tried) into other areas. There used to be a small M:TG community here back in the day, when I first joined in 2006, and I thought it was well received to some. Dr. Tom, Farseer, SwingBlade, and a few others including n00bdragon all had their part. I started getting involved towards the tail end of that little group. Down the road, I asked DarkChaos to bring it back and let me manage it, but it was hard to keep people interested. Then life caught up and had n00bdragon take over for a while. I believe if we want to reshape the forums, then leave Pokemon out for now and take the focus to YGO and M:TG. If people are willing to learn Magic, I can teach them on Cockatrice. For gaming? Maybe make clans in certain games. TF2, CS, make a guild in WoW that specializes in only PVP. The sky is the limit, but only limit what games we are focusing. I started a Zombie Survival clan in Garry's Mod in 2008, and with brute force and determination, I managed to recruit over 50 members. Sure it started off slow, but it quickly picked up steam. Sure the name of the clan was corny (during the time anyway, we were kids), but we all had fun. We tried expanding into making our own server instead of the resident server we stayed on, that didn't work too well. Tried a forum, didn't work too well. We experimented, didn't like it, stayed with the basics. Eventually everyone grew up. It happens. If I could go back and recruit new people I would. Anything is possible.

So there's some ideas to work with, but what about forums structure? Our current members? Other ideas? Pitch your input. Give me criticism. Mold the clay I gave you guys and shape it into something creative.

Forum structure? Simple.

-Xerocreative Main

--News

--Heldesk

---Introductions (Should only be a subforum)

---Application Help (This forum may be redundant, can keep help threads in other forums)

---Site Help

---(open to ideas)

-Yu-Gi-Oh!

--Devpro/DN

--Real-Life Trading

--Discussion Forum (Tourny Threads would be stickied, or super sub forum if it's possible)

--Decklists (Tag decks with formats)

-Magic: The Gathering

--M:TG Online

--Cockatrice (Keep them separate. One uses money and the other is free and open source. We can also only focus on one. Cockatrice > M:TGO)

--Real-Life Trading

--Discussion Forum (Tourny threads would be stickied)

--Decklists (Tag decks with formats)

-Video Gaming

--Console Gaming (Super sub forum for specific consoles)

--PC Gaming (Super sub forum for tech help and dev pages)

--Mobile Gaming (iPhones and Droids. Yes, there is a mobile gaming community surprisingly)

--(forums dedicated to specific games if there is a playerbase big enough to warrant it, ie clans)

-General Discussion

--Water Cooler (basically any other threads go here, real world stuff)

--Creative Arts(subforums for GFX and Creative Writing)

--Blogs

--Dev Forum (if needed)

-Mod Forum

--(I'm sure mods knows what goes here)

I know I brought up other TCG's/CCG's. If there is a demand for it, then another separate forum would be created for others, but all bundled. If there would be, for example, a pokemon community consisting of more then 25 members that were all active, then I would create a forum for it. It's expanding conservatively while not expanding too much. Again, this layout is not a final thing I'd throw out for the sake of throwing out and trying something without input from other members.

The other question that would probably get brought up is my experience with IPB. It's... mediocre, but I have worked with it and used the Admin panel once before. Coding, however, isn't my strong suit. Am I suited to be admin? That's not my decision to make. I'm just merely putting something out there for people to use, expand, and pitch in ideas. DarkBlaze tried something, Setever tried something, and now I'm trying something. This is just a rough draft. Ideas for trying to advertise is something I'll be working on this week.

Now, before I hit the "Post New Topic" button, I want to make one thing clear. Keep the discussions civil. If you can't do at least that, then we can't move forward as a team and as a community. I need everyone's effort. Ideas and criticism (tame) is welcomed but trolling and calling people idiots and saying there idea is bad because you don't like it is not. If I have to give a lesson on constructive criticism and well, though-out posts, then obviously I don't need to waste my time trying to make everyone work together.

#2 BryceHarperFan Oldies Grand Ultimate Super Poster 2965 posts 424.00 XCB

BryceHarperFan

Posted 21 September 2015 - 02:49 PM

We need someone who will just help keep things going. Why don't we aim for just one goal and keep trying to make that happen? Have consistent tournaments (in Yugioh) where the moderator/admin just makes sure it happens on time. The fact is that if we aim to do so many different things all at once, it never gets done. Having one simple goal ie tournaments, will be something easier to facilitate and at least keep the activity up. Even if it is just a core group of people participating, at least there will be activity. 

#3 Yami Stomach Oldies Wut 9385 posts 688.00 XCB

Yami Stomach
  • Interests:Who gives a shit.

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:49 PM

This seems like a great idea Gren, if only everybody could come together and make it happen. as it stands we can't do shit since the biggest authority here is MIA

#4 kyros27 Oldies Spewer of over 4000 Posts! 4532 posts 185.00 XCB

kyros27

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:24 PM

We tried to get ssb4 interest going here, but it was normally just stomach, Fran, and me involved.  Smash has always had a huge player base, which we could use to get people here.

#5 BryceHarperFan Oldies Grand Ultimate Super Poster 2965 posts 424.00 XCB

BryceHarperFan

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:48 PM

We can just do small Yugioh tournaments. Once we get 8 people, we should just go with it. We don't need the main authority to do tournaments, do we?

#6 Gren Team XC That One Guy 5678 posts 143.00 XCB

Gren

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:18 PM

No but it helps keeping it organized. The problem I see with tournaments is that there is no prizes which doesn't give people the incentive to do them. Even if we did something like physical cards or even cheap games on steam, at least that will give people some incentive. I'm in no condition financially to go ahead and help with prizes, so that burden would fall upon someone else. Also the pool of people would have to be large enough to be worth it. Xcbux are worthless right now but we did that as an option in the past when everything was more... Structured.

#7 BryceHarperFan Oldies Grand Ultimate Super Poster 2965 posts 424.00 XCB

BryceHarperFan

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:59 AM

I don't think anyone on here that's still with us cares about prizes. I say just get someone competent and let them get the tournament together and just do it for the fun of it.

#8 storyteller Oldies When a story comes to an end... 3365 posts 339.00 XCB

storyteller

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:11 AM

What we first need may be a discussion of interests. How many of us are still interested in ygo? In MTG? HS? This game or that?
We do need a direction for the forum, but at least I personally don't even have a good idea of what exactly the people still here are interested in anymore.

#9 BryceHarperFan Oldies Grand Ultimate Super Poster 2965 posts 424.00 XCB

BryceHarperFan

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:48 AM

Just stick to Yugioh. I don't see any of the other sections even remotely alive. 

#10 Gren Team XC That One Guy 5678 posts 143.00 XCB

Gren

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:56 AM

Eventually we will have to expand in other territories. Before anything happens, we need active admins. I wish Setever didn't disappear.

#11 Gardevoir Oldies Rawr 611 posts 31.00 XCB

Gardevoir

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:03 PM

Expanding would be nice. I've been really getting into Force of Will lately. It's a really fun game and the only place, really, that people currently discuss it is a Facebook group. Maybe those of us who play the game (which is probably just me) can redirect them here if there's a FoW thing going? 

#12 storyteller Oldies When a story comes to an end... 3365 posts 339.00 XCB

storyteller

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:12 PM

Interesting looking game. Looks like a weird cross of YGO, DM, MTG (specifically Commander).

#13 BryceHarperFan Oldies Grand Ultimate Super Poster 2965 posts 424.00 XCB

BryceHarperFan

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:42 PM

I'm saying that for right now, we should just stick to one goal and get that running efficiently. For example: getting a tournament running and actually finish it then start again. Once we have that running efficiently, then we can look at expanding slightly. Since we all have no resources at all on here, we just have to find the easiest thing to do for the now (that we can do).

#14 Harpuia Ancient One Justitia fortitudo mea est. 2480 posts 65.00 XCB

Harpuia

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:26 PM

If you want advice from an outsider:

One thing I learned when starting my gaming channel a couple months ago is focusing on one thing.  In this case, I'll agree with EeL.  You might want to focus on doing one thing good right now and atm the thing you all have in common is Yu-gi-oh.  Focus on building up tournaments and building them consistently.  Maybe if you had a financial backer giving out cash prizes, that might help you guys out too.

Second, SEO.  If there's somebody who can get into the HTML and the insides of this forum and get you guys better search terms so you can push yourselves out there on search engines that would work.

Third, promotion.  Get into social media.  I mean BIGTIME get into Social Media.  Twitter, FB, it's the Web 2.0 era.  You guys are still stuck in forums.  The only forums anyone I know sees anymore is Reddit and they're slowly dwindling.

That's just a few ideas.

#15 Gren Team XC That One Guy 5678 posts 143.00 XCB

Gren

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:51 PM

So we can start tournaments again. If Sun is still lurking, we can have him AND another person put it together, that way if Sun isn't around or doesn't have contact credentials, someone else will. Otherwise if someone wants to step up and organize it, be my guest. I'd gladly do it myself but I'm in the recovery process + I don't play YGO anymore, which means if someone comes for a rulings question or anything else, I'd be a bad pick.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm also in the midst of reinstalling everything on my comp. Finally got it fixed today.

Edited by Gren, 22 September 2015 - 08:52 PM.

#16 storyteller Oldies When a story comes to an end... 3365 posts 339.00 XCB

storyteller

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:41 PM

What would you guys say to regularizing CAC comtests?

One of the bigger problems that entail CACs is that judges can be lazy and there's often some time between end of a round and the start of the next.

Would it be better if CACs were regularized to weekly/bi-weekly contests where the winners are decided by polls, and then the winner chooses the theme for two rounds later?

round 1 contest ->

round 2 contest, round 1 poll

round 3 contest, round 2 poll, round 4 theme ->

round 4 contest, round 3 poll, round 5 theme ->

and so on.

Edited by storyteller, 23 September 2015 - 09:02 PM.

#17 BryceHarperFan Oldies Grand Ultimate Super Poster 2965 posts 424.00 XCB

BryceHarperFan

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:11 AM

CAC is Create a Card competition right? I think those should be twice a week. I think there should be one universal judge who does it every time, so to speed it up. With CAC, the time frame that it gets done revolves around the host which ends up with it being sometimes on time or late.

#18 RiverShock Ancient One XC's Official Setmaker 4481 posts 86.00 XCB

RiverShock

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:53 AM

I say weekly works best. Too frequently and people could get burned out on ideas for them IMO.

Personally, I like the individual judges for each competition. But there should be some kind of failsafe where if it hasn't been judged in, say, a couple of days after the deadline, someone else should judge in their place to keep them moving, because, yeah, there have been too many times the CAC competition almost died due to someone forgetting or something.

#19 Yami Stomach Oldies Wut 9385 posts 688.00 XCB

Yami Stomach
  • Interests:Who gives a shit.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:16 AM

i think story's idea works well though a bit complicated.

#20 Gren Team XC That One Guy 5678 posts 143.00 XCB

Gren

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:11 AM

2 Weeks might be a little slow for CaC, I think one week would also work best just so it's less likely for people to forget.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users