Some lands

CAC

• Please log in to reply

#1 storyteller Oldies When a story comes to an end... 3365 posts 339.00 XCB

storyteller

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

[Card Name]
Legendary Land - [basic land type] Shrine

Shrines from Kamigawa weren't that great, so maybe they can stand to be upgraded before they ever show up.
If having a basic land type is too much, could also just be a Shrine subtype land that produce colored mana.
Or maybe they should come in tapped.
Thematically, it makes sense to me since a lot of shrines are more or less places, which would make sense as lands.

[Card Name]
Land

~ enters the battlefield tapped and does not untap during your untap step.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if ~ is tapped, add C to your mana pool. This mana does not empty from your mana pool [until end of the turn].

Effectively an "enchantment" land. If the bracket is left out, it could maybe be a rare producing colorless.
Otherwise it'd probably be a common producing color.
On NGA, we're working on a set in which the plane has "stopped", and figured this was thematically fitting.

[Card Name]
Land

T: Add 1 to your mana pool. You may spend this mana to cast C spells as though it were mana of any color.

This land, I made with the intention of it being used in a colorless? matters set.
I figured wording it this way would allow some mechanic like "If no colored mana were spent to cast this spell, ~", etc.

Edited by storyteller, 13 June 2014 - 03:08 PM.

#2 Ritokure Oldies Friendships of people is the true magic 2502 posts 52.00 XCB

Ritokure
  • Interests:Obscure, Japan-only Action Playstation games, MegaTen, card games and ponies

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

Shrine: It has the "Artifact Lands" problem all over it and the Legendary clause on both Shrines and Lands makes any deck around it inconsistent as all hell. I like the idea, but don't go with a cycle of 5 Shrines. I'd go with either a land that taps for colorless (and some other effect to compensate for it) or something like:
[Card Name]
Legendary Land - Shrine
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
When ~ enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you pay 2.
T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

Permaland: Go in the opposite direction. As in, instead of producing mana while tapped, it produces mana while untapped. The way it is right now, "untap" effects effectively become land destruction (because you can't tap it anymore), and that's terrible. Other than that, not sure what's the upside on this. Honestly, the drawback of having to choose the mana proactively and not being able to generate mana on opp's turn is enough to warrant it to be a dual land.

Grayland: I really like the design, but right now it's strictly better than a basic land (you can still use the red one to make, for example, black or blue in a UBR spell, and the only drawback is not being colored on abilities costs - heck, 4 of these and a mountain and you could cast a WUBRG spell!). Ironically, lands like these would be insane in a Gold set. I'd put an additional drawback.

Edited by Ritokure, 13 June 2014 - 04:51 PM.

#3 storyteller Oldies When a story comes to an end... 3365 posts 339.00 XCB

storyteller

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

Your pointers all hit the mark well.

Shine Land:
While what you say is true, your land is more than a little convoluted, and non-legendary colorless shrines would make these guys too good.
As it is, the red shrine + 3 of the legendary lands would probably blowout an opponent (4 damage to creature/player each turn), but if you're able to assemble that many 1-ofs, I think you deserve it.

Permaland:
I was probably caught in the flavor since there was a suggestion for the set it was designed for to introduce "can't be untapped". If actually implemented, I'd probably make them as you say.

Grayland: Yeah, it supports colors well. It actually made me really want to do a plane filled with art and no conflict. And yeah, I'd probably make them enter tapped. Or maybe "tapped unless you control [basic land type]" at least.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CAC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users