Photo
- - - - - 26 replies to this topic

Riceetales - Off to University and Booster Packs!

• Please log in to reply

#1 Riceeman Members Azog the Defiler 418 posts 0.00 XCB

Riceeman

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

Hey there. Thought that I'd finally start a blog as somewhere to just put down thoughts I've been having. Feels good to have a place to vent - I talk to myself too often nowadays, which is probably a bad thing. Gonna just talk about a variety of things really, so, topic headers activate! You can skip the TCG bit or the personal bit, whatever you want, dear reader.

Yugioh

The format's pretty stable right now in my eyes. Water's just better then everything else but is easily sided for and is pretty linear in what it does. No less of a bitch to shut down though, clearly. I personally love Fire Fists right now. The deck's so fair and yet drags itself through with the power of Bear and Rabbit. In XC tourneys I'm 9-0 with the deck so far - not too shabby. I just love the concept that drawing Normal monsters is almost always not a bad thing - Makes a nice change. Gene-Warped Warwolf for the win.

Wind-Ups are my deck of choice in the flesh. Nearly have all the stuff for it ready for UK nationals in May, just need to pick some stuff off a friend and find a Volcasaurus - probably end up just getting it off eBay. The deck's nice - hands with Rabbit and Factory are just good Yugiohs. It feels and plays kinda like BWs now, except with a bit more explosiveness when it does go big. Shockmaster is still good, even if you can't consistently make him turn 1.

Magic the Gathering

I've really fell for the game. I draft regularly (Bogged down with coursework for a few weeks so have been unable to), going 3-0 and 4-0 in my last two with Dimir and Orzhov respectively. I really like the black decks in Gatecrash, much nicer then the less subtle decks that are just trying to punch you in the face.

Playing Cockatrice a lot and played my first 1v1 Commander game today, which was rather odd. I was playing against a Jhoira of the Ghitu deck with Omnath, locus of mana. I was on the play and managed to Arbor elf Into a turn 2 Omnath. I then hit for 5 the following turn and played Garruk Wildspeaker, untapping lands. Meanwhile he had searched for and played Show and Tell - I played Garruk's Horde, he played Blightsteel Colossus. Yeah. Amazingly, I won turn 5 by swinging with Omnath at 16/16 due to mana and Wildspeakers -4 for exact commander damage. A baptism of fire if ever I saw one.

Personal Life

I don't really know how to put some of these thoughts into words but I'll try my best. I've come to the realisation of what I fear. I had always thought it was failure, but I lack panic when things are going badly, so I knew it wasn't what I fear. It's something deeper then that, it's a fear of doing the wrong thing.

It's seems such an irrational thing when I look at the words I've just typed, but I'm starting to think its what shapes my life. I cAn barely pick up the telephone and call anyone. I'd not thought about why before, but I think it's because I'm convinced I'll say or do something wrong, and I hate the lack of physicality - it's so much harder to lie face to face.

Doing the right thing is what's steered me so far. Drugs and copious amounts of Alcohol before I was 18 - I declined them because I consider then wrong - incorrect, unnecessary, illegal. Sometimes I think why bother? I watch my friends break the law and smoke and kill themselves with these things and I can't do a thing about it. I feel helpless because I can't change the way they think, can't make them see what to me is startlingly clear.

I really like a Girl. She's my friend and sometimes I feel like I should just come right out and tell her, should just blurt out what I feel. But what's the point? She might just reject me and leave our friendship in tatters, and I just can't do that. And in my heart, I take a pragmatic approach and think about what would change if she shared my feelings. Very little, I feel. My romantic excursions in my short life so far have been little kiddy things, and now I'm starting to think seriously I just don't know what I want. I want a friend. I want someone to hold and to he able to tell anything and everything. Just someone to talk to. That's all I want. I feel like for now, it'll stay a dream. But I wait patiently. One day it'll come, and I'll be ready. One day.

Congratulations, you made it to the end of my convoluted trains of thought! You deserve a medal. Made out of rice. With a cherry on top. Expect more blog posts on more random subjects whenever something else crawls out of my brain.

Ricee, away!

Edited by Riceeman, 18 September 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#2 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5527 posts 433.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

Ok, well, being myself, I'll naturally talk about the girl first..

You have to say it some time. And sooner, rather than later, just in case. I was about to ask a girl out for Valentine's Day. The same day Iwas going to, she got in a relationship with some other guy. They both ruin their lives smoking and drinking too, so I use that as my only recovery sometimes. Being an atheist, I put the blame on myself, not on destiny or fate or whatever fancy word you put out there. I was too late. The other thing is confrontation. If I understood right, then you don't like it. Now here's the expected bit. Confront her. Let her know. There are only two possibilities.

1) She says yes. Your confidence goes up, your life improves, you take more chances when it comes to confrontation.

2) She says no, or wait. Your confidence goes down, your life improves, you learn what rejection is like, and you live with it.
Wait, your life improves if she says no? Well, knowledge is better than anything. You could lie in bed every night hoping a message will appear, letting you know if she's interested. It's like a game of chess. Your opponent - the girl - is waiting for you to put her in check. She wants you to ask questions about her. Then you either checkmate her next turn, or she turns it around and checkmates you. Sounds quite exciting, but as it stands now, you keep overthinking your next move. The timer is running out, and you're getting more stressed. A nasty cycle. It's up to you to take that chance. You'll never know if your move will be worth it until you try it. Worst comes to worst, it's just a game and you'll end up with another opponent sooner or later.

If you want to know if she's interested, ask her. Ask her out for coffee, lunch, whatever, then you ask her. She won't walk out on you. If she does do something similar, pursue her. Keep asking until you find out a definite answer, making she understands you feel that she's possibly not interested. It's a tough one, but in the long run, it's a win-win situation. If after that, it happens to fail, I know I'll be here to talk if you want. Most people will be.

And yeah. Fire Fists are kewl.

Seriously though, I've learned - mainly from here - that if you don't ask, you don't get. I mean, look at MBP's Global Mod position. He knew that he would be a good applicant. One of the best. It would never happen without his mindset though. Why on earth would DB pick him of all people? Because he was confident he was the right person. Girls love confidence.

Just a note, I'm pretty sure DB isn't a girl. I've never checked, but I can all but guarantee it. Yeah. Fire Fists.

Edited by Jesse, 04 April 2013 - 02:45 AM.

#3 GothicKratos Oldies Local Trollolololol 2309 posts 2.00 XCB

GothicKratos

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:12 AM

In an odd way, yea, pretty much what Jesse said.

#4 Exarion Team XC Pretty Face 5159 posts 202.00 XCB

Exarion
  • Interests:Just let me sleep.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

I feel bad for my friends (or almost friends) too.
Yet the ones from university have more common sense than the ones from high school...

Doing the right thing is good, the examples you gave are really reasonable. Even talking face-to-face over phone calls.
Is there anything else you would consider a problem regarding that morals/perfectionism?

Well, your love situation could be worse: at least you are straight. u_u

#5 MyBlackwingPlaylist Oldies American Psycho 9015 posts 0.00 XCB

MyBlackwingPlaylist

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:38 PM

Seriously though, I've learned - mainly from here - that if you don't ask, you don't get. I mean, look at MBP's Global Mod position. He knew that he would be a good applicant. One of the best. It would never happen without his mindset though. Why on earth would DB pick him of all people? Because he was confident he was the right person. Girls love confidence.

Just a note, I'm pretty sure DB isn't a girl. I've never checked, but I can all but guarantee it. Yeah. Fire Fists.

LOLWUT?! I'm inspirational now? xD
And, yes, DB's a boy. Now.

[Though, in reality, I did straight-up ask DB about the position via PM.]

I'm right where you are, Rice. Madly in love, but afraid to say anything because of fear. And that's alright. Don't rush into an "I love you, you're the greatest girl in the world!" presentation, because then you could catch her off-guard and scare her away.
Of course, I don't understand the exact circumstances of your situation, but probably the best approach is working your way up to the point where you can either tell if she has feelings for you and/or that she knows you have those feelings for her. For example, in my situation, I've been increasingly getting into fun, non-school-related conversations with the person I like (Game of Thrones *cough*), and then delving into more personal questions, ranging from what she did over the Easter vacation to her outfit for the day. I'll keep working my way up from there, but the more groundwork you set, the more you can expand on later.
If you're already in a comfortable conversational zone with this person, you need to take things a step further by being a little less subtle. Lean in close. Get handsy. Hugs! Increasing physical contact is great for asserting your own presence - make sure she knows that you're a caring, sweet fellow, and wonderful boyfriend material. Setting up lunch dates or going to the movies, etc. are also good ways to not only be around her more, but ensure that she'll be thinking about you more often.

Now, the straight-forward, super-confident approach is also a possible one, but it only works if she feels the same way about you, and if she is truly, absolutely surprised, you very well could end up doing the worst kind of damage and killing your friendship. Besides that, based on what I've read here, I don't think you want to make a big leap like that and I certainly wouldn't encourage it. If you're not confident, you need to build things up so that, when you feel you're ready to put yourself out there, you feel comfortable that she's most likely ready as well.

Basically, I'm saying you need her to already know what you're going to say to her before you say it.

Also, I completely agree with you about phones. I really do prefer face-to-face contact. It's personal, it's real, it's right in front of you. There's nothing that beats actual conversation, because it's much more than just words - it's about body movement and expressions, and those are usually a lot more revealing. That, and a laugh over a telephone wire generally doesn't compare to a genuine smile.

I'm rooting for you, pal.

#6 Blydden Oldies ~ Honest ~ 1902 posts 21.00 XCB

Blydden

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:33 AM

Well, your love situation could be worse: at least you are straight. u_u

Aww...

I think Exarion & Ricee need group hugs.

*GROUPHUGTIME*?!

#7 Riceeman Members Azog the Defiler 418 posts 0.00 XCB

Riceeman

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

Well, it's about time I updated this! I appreciate all your guys comments, i'm taking it all on board! I definitely enjoy discussing personal stuff so that's gonna take centre stage with my little thoughts on Yugioh and Magic secondary.

Last day of Sixth Form!

Yesterday was the last day of my Sixth Form, which means I've finished Year 13 and hopefully school, forever! Then I say hopefully, I need certain grades to get into my desired University, so if I don't get them it may be necessary to retake some exams. I'm fairly confident though, not just in getting the grades but in being able to sneak in even if I fall a bit short. My personal statement was good enough to let Cambridge to ask me for an interview, so that should hopefully mean it's solid. :P

Last day of school means I had my Summer Ball, which was a blast. It was a chance to suit up, get a tad drunk and dance around like lunatics.

Exhibit A: I'm so suave in a suit:
Spoiler

I have identified my drunken state as having two main components - excessive swearing and always smiling like a frigid' maniac. Every single photo from the night involving me shows me with a huge grin plastered on my face. Could be worse, I guess. I was sober when I slept so avoided the headaches the next morning, though I became ravenous and bought and ate a whole baguette. It was damn tasty.

My highlight from the night was my award. The social committee had created a series of awards to hand out to celebrate various attributes. To give a taste of the kind of things we're talking about, there was "Most likely to end up in Prison", "Best ass", "Most likely to be Prime Minister" and "Most likely to end up as a Hobo". There was however an award for "Nicest Person". As they said that, a bunch of prime candidates appeared in my head. And then they said my name. I'm a bit of a reserved character most of the time, so to get such an awesome award like this from people who I'd consider my friends, but not particularly close, restored all my confidence in myself and reasserted that the way I'm leading my life is at least slightly correct. Of all the achievements in my life so far, being "The Nicest person in Farmor's Sixth Form" tops them all.

Exhibit B: My unexpected award!
Spoiler

My love life has turned from a shallow pool into a dangerous minefield.

The girl who I really like, called Jo, was there at summer ball last night, and I talked to her a bit, but I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye to her or to mention that we should meet up. I'm definitely going to stay in contact though, and try to keep meeting up at social events. I had almost gathered the confidence to talk to her about how I felt, but as always, my confidence slowly slipped away.

And now, to explain about the 14-year old. Yeah.

The week after my last blog post, I was picking my Twin up from a local pub, so I was completely sober. I started chatting to a girl called Ella, who I knew through Jo and had met at a couple little house meet-ups and LOTRfests. She was sober too due to medication, and we sat out in the car park and just chatted about random nerdy things for a couple of hours before I left with Gwil.

From there, our contact started slowly increasing. First it was Facebook messages, then we exchanged phone details and started texting. At break times I'd bump into her in the canteen regularly and just chat about stuff.

We both identified that we wanted to see Iron Man 3, so Ella said we should totally go together. I agreed, and presumed she'd probably invite some of her friends too. In the end it was just her and I, with me driving her too and from the cinema. When a friend of mine mentioned the word "date", I heavily disagreed. I was going to see the film, on my own if necessary. If two people want to go see the same film, no matter their gender, they should go together! It's only logical, right? A week or two later she invited me round her house to watch films and I went. In the end we watched Reservoir Dogs, her friend came over and we sat and chatted and then went out to the park and I played football with some mates.

It gets messy because Ella is 14, a regular smoker and drug taker. Now, Jo is also the last two and has been for a while, but it still makes me uncomfortable knowing she's so young and into all this crap. What annoys me about the situation is that if I was like, 26 and she was 22, there'd be no problem. As it is, 14 and 18 seems like decades apart. I also don't want to hurt her, and with only a few more months before I leave for University, I don't want her to get involved in such a difficult relationship. She also tried to take her own life a year ago, which makes everything more difficult - I really don't want to hurt her anymore then she's already been hurt - her life has been difficult and i don't want to make it worse.

Do I really like her? She's an awesome person and has many similarities in taste and thought process to me, but at the end of the day, I just want to be friends. The difficult task is making sure that she realises this, which as it stands, I feel she doesn't. I don't want to lead her on if she's become infatuated me because then I'll hurt her even more when I end what hasn't even started. I've never had a friend I could just text whenever I wanted or talk to about any random subject or go round and watch films with, so I just want it to stay like this.

I did try and hint at this situation. We were playing the question game, where you ask a question, both players answer it, and then the other person asks a question and so on. She asked "Are you into anyone at the moment?". I said that I was pretty happy with being a bachelor, which she misinterpreted to think I was gay. I quickly clarified to say I don't think I've met the right girl yet, and I have lots of girls who are friends and I'm just fine with that. Her answer to the same question was that she's really fallen for a guy and that she'll be really messed up if he doesn't feel the same way about her. Is that me? Like, I think so, but who knows.

So yeah. My social life's becoming a little more complicated, but I think maybe that's nice and shows I'm actually starting to have a bit of self-confidence. I'm sure I can make everything turn out alright in the end. Just use my "Nicest Person" powers and everything will be fine. :P

Can't be bothered to mention my thoughts on TCGs right now, so will probably update with a little post about them in a bit.

Until next time dudes, Ricee away!

Edited by Riceeman, 25 May 2013 - 04:11 PM.

#8 MyBlackwingPlaylist Oldies American Psycho 9015 posts 0.00 XCB

MyBlackwingPlaylist

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

Looking good in that photo, Rice. Glad you had a lot of fun at your dance. Also, Rice is nice.

As I think I've said before, I think age isn't really important, but you're definitely right when you say "minefield". If you think this girl might be a little unstable, and you've already said she's into drugs and has attempted suicide, you need to ensure she does not get further invested in you, because if she gets to that point and you reject her, she may end up taking it out on herself. You may have to be upfront with Ella about this, as difficult as that may be, because she might receive it better. But, yeah, this doesn't seem to be a very comfortable situation to be in.

Also, Ricee has a twin too?! *highfives*

#9 Jesse Team XC Head Admin 5527 posts 433.00 XCB

Jesse

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

Also, Ricee has a twin too?! *highfives*

I bet his/her name is Pastaa.

I didn't realise you were only in the year above me. I'm just about to enter year 13. Which subjects did you pick?

Also: Cambridge? Fuuuuuck. I wish you the best of luck getting into it. Or is it too late now?

---

I don't find age gaps too important. Obviously 14 is underage, but if you're not interested in her then it doesn't matter anyway. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be able to stand somebody who ruins themselves. Unless you can try and change them, but that's very difficult. In fact, I wouldn't count on that at all.

I guess you're not really looking for advice here. So yeah. Just tell her straight, but then hang out with her the same day. That way you know she won't go home and do anything stupid.

#10 Riceeman Members Azog the Defiler 418 posts 0.00 XCB

Riceeman

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

Also: Cambridge? Fuuuuuck. I wish you the best of luck getting into it. Or is it too late now?

I got an interview, but I didn't get an offer. :P Nottingham's my first choice but got to get 3 As to get in. And I took Physics, Maths, Art and English literature, but dropped the English in Year 13.

What makes it so confusing is that I think if she was my age I'd be all over it, it's just because she's 14 I'm having to stay logical about the situation. It's all just a bit of a mess in my head at the moment, if i'm honest. Not long before I go to Uni though, and so a fresh start beckons.

#11 Abyss Oldies The One and the Only! 4463 posts 55.00 XCB

Abyss
  • Interests:YuGiOh,chilling and TV of course.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

IMO,leave the 14 year old girl. She's obviously too young for this type of stuff. Your complete focus should be on Jo,and Ricee,you have no beard =O.

P.S You have no idea how awesome it is to not even have a friend who happens to be a girl :D

#12 Hypermaster117 Oldies WABIT SEASON 2117 posts 265.00 XCB

Hypermaster117
  • Interests:Anime, YGO, Vanguard, LoL

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

Holy shit Ricee dat rape face ._. I'm friends with a few girls. It's all based on how non generic teenage girl they are.

#13 BryceHarperFan Oldies Grand Ultimate Super Poster 2965 posts 424.00 XCB

BryceHarperFan

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:40 AM

Love it!

#14 Rayth Mistwalker Oldies Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted. 3199 posts 0.00 XCB

Rayth Mistwalker
  • Interests:Programming, IRC, Fishing, Gaming

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

i cant believe u never mentioned meeting me once in that whole post :(

#15 Riceeman Members Azog the Defiler 418 posts 0.00 XCB

Riceeman

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

Oh god I forgot completely about nationals in that post. :P Will amend that in a post sometime soon Raythywaythy. :P

#16 Exarion Team XC Pretty Face 5159 posts 202.00 XCB

Exarion
  • Interests:Just let me sleep.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

You cute Ricee. =P

Quit both Jo and Ella. Find someone new (and healthier) at college. >.>

#17 Abyss Oldies The One and the Only! 4463 posts 55.00 XCB

Abyss
  • Interests:YuGiOh,chilling and TV of course.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:00 AM

You cute Ricee. =P

Quit both Jo and Ella. Bang someone at college. >.>

Fix'd.

#18 Rayth Mistwalker Oldies Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted. 3199 posts 0.00 XCB

Rayth Mistwalker
  • Interests:Programming, IRC, Fishing, Gaming

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

You cute Ricee. =P

Bang both Jo and Ella. Then Bang someone new at college. >.>

Fix'd.

Fixed again.

I'd say bang ella too but y'know.. 14.

#19 Riceeman Members Azog the Defiler 418 posts 0.00 XCB

Riceeman

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:34 PM

I think Ella's trying to tell me via text that she really likes me. And I'm too much of a wimp to send any reply. Gaaaaah. I don't want to just text her my stance, I want to tell her to her face so she actually understands my reasons, but now it just looks like i'm being insensitive. Adding a tick to the "Hundreds of reasons for Teleportation" list.

In other news, I saw a car drive past me and I thought it was being driven by a Husky. Good times.

Edited by Riceeman, 01 June 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#20 Riceeman Members Azog the Defiler 418 posts 0.00 XCB

Riceeman

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

So, it's been quite a while since I last updated this blog, over 3 months in fact. Quite a lot has happened, but I'll just fill you in on the basics.

I went away inter-railing around mainland Europe with a friend at the end of July which was pretty crazy. Saw lots of cool places and met lots of interesting and funny people, so was a really good experience.

In education news, I got ABB in my A levels. This was unfortunately lower then my offer grades to get into Architecture at Nottingham University, but fortunately they offered me a different place on an MEng in Architecture and Environmental Design, so I'm going to be doing that instead! My first term actually starts this Monday coming, and I'm moving in on Sunday, so super excited to start this new chapter!

Girl-wise, after telling Ella that I just wanted to be friends twice, declining her advances, things were good between us. 2 weeks later, I went away for 4 weeks to Europe and halfway through that trip I discovered that she'd just started dating a friend of mine, who is actually a year older then me. So that was a kind-of kick in the teeth, and a lesson that my conscience is obviously working on different levels to some people. :P

Lastly, congratulations to DB on winning the XCC Finals! He donated any winnings he got to me, and they just arrived this afternoon, so here's the pack opening if you can be bothered to stomach it's boringness. ;P

I'll probably update with what's going on at University soon, so until then, Ricee out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users