Photo
* * * * * 2 votes 517 replies to this topic

WARNING: Very Fucking Graphic - Harpuia's Blog 4/26/15

• Please log in to reply

#21 Siyanor Oldies Supreme Master of Post 7830 posts 0.00 XCB

Siyanor
  • Interests:You don't need to know.

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:36 AM

I'm pretty sure multicolored creatures aren't dead in MTG. If WotC decides to continue the way it's been going, I expect a remake of Ravnica block in "Shake" block or "Hook" block.

#22 Ritokure Oldies Friendships of people is the true magic 2502 posts 52.00 XCB

Ritokure
  • Interests:Obscure, Japan-only Action Playstation games, MegaTen, card games and ponies

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:07 PM

I'm pretty sure multicolored creatures aren't dead in MTG. If WotC decides to continue the way it's been going, I expect a remake of Ravnica block in "Shake" block or "Hook" block.

I really hope so. Ravnica was the greatest thing since sliced bread. We need to know what the hell happened with Niv-Mizzet anyways.

I remember Duel Masters too. It was fun, but I never actually got hooked into it. I rented the games, though, and they were good. Almost bought a PS2 DM game, but it was the store's rental copy, and not a good one. Damn kids know nothing about taking good care of DVDs.

Finally, I'll agree with scooping. lrn2play yall.

#23 kakashipwnzor Oldies Apparently I'm XC's PsychicBrony. Go figure. 3752 posts 20.00 XCB

kakashipwnzor

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:39 PM

I didn't say that Multicolored should die in Magic.... -.-

I said that the last big thing that hit Duel Masters before it died was multicolored creatures.

#24 Siyanor Oldies Supreme Master of Post 7830 posts 0.00 XCB

Siyanor

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

But the last thing that hit MTG was artifacts... so I dunno how you're comparing this to MTG.

#25 redeyeszack84 Ancient One Resident Gamer... ZERO! 8855 posts 6.00 XCB

redeyeszack84
  • Interests:Games, animation, comedy, and the supernatural.

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:52 PM

Duel Masters was MTG on Easy Mode, thats the comparison...

#26 kakashipwnzor Oldies Apparently I'm XC's PsychicBrony. Go figure. 3752 posts 20.00 XCB

kakashipwnzor

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

But the last thing that hit MTG was artifacts... so I dunno how you're comparing this to MTG.

...Ok.

Before Duel Masters died, they got Multicolored creatures. Yellow/Black, that kind of thing.

The Multcolored creatures are similar to the ones in Magic.

I never said anything like "The last thing that hit Magic was ____".

#27 Harpuia Ancient One Justitia fortitudo mea est. 2480 posts 65.00 XCB

Harpuia

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:45 PM

Alright Sho, blog it is. I'm finalizing my top 25 now.

I might even have an honorable mentions list too. Just before or after.

Anyway, there is still a small Duel Masters community somewhere... out there... of about 40-50 people.

#28 Siyanor Oldies Supreme Master of Post 7830 posts 0.00 XCB

Siyanor

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:33 AM

Ok... well, when all you say is:

The last big thing in the game before it got canceled, never to be heard of again was multicolor creatures, much like Magic.

I don't know if you mean the last big thing was like Magic, or the creatures were like Magic. I assumed you meant the former. Perhaps you should be more specific.

#29 Harpuia Ancient One Justitia fortitudo mea est. 2480 posts 65.00 XCB

Harpuia

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:13 AM

2/15/2011 9:59 PM

EDIT: I was asked to post a few songs that you all could sample that I listen to. Well, might as well. I left a letter grade. A means I recommend it highly. F means Kim Jong-Il uses the song to torture his political prisoners in North Korea. Just copy the song name and post it to Youtube. There should be either a VEVO, lyrics, or translation to any of these songs available there.

Songs listening while writing:
1. Chris Young - "Voices" {A-}
2. Yoko Ishida - "Shiawase no Iro" {B-}
3. Ke$ha - "Take it Off" {D-}
4. Joe Nichols - Gimme that Girl {B}
5. George Strait & Kenny Chesney - Shiftwork {A-}
6. Aly and AJ - Zip-a-dee-doo-dah {B}

Time to get somewhat serious. Somewhat.

I am proud to say I am 24 years old and I have HAD EVERY DIME OF MY COLLEGE PAID UP TO MY FIRST THIRD OF MY DOCTORATE.

I hate to say it's not the same with everyone else. So I am here to tell you all right now. College is a COMPLETE waste of time. That's right, you heard me. If your parents want you to go to college, they better go through this checklist first in order to make sure your college experience is somewhat useful.

- Are you either going into a major that is of a growing industry (engineering, medical, nursing, environmental science) or are you REALLY passionate about what you want to do (as in you have already decided what your career path is by 16?)

- Is at least half of your college tuition paid for in scholarships and grants?
- Are you going to a college accredited by an organization?
- Are you NOT going to ITT Tech or any for-profit college?
- Are you going to plan to graduate in five years or less (if a growing industry major) or four years or less (if any other major)?
- Are you NOT majoring in General Studies?
- Are you NOT joining a fraternity or a sorority?
- Are you NOT majoring in massage therapy?
- Are you NOT trying to find a husband?
- Are you NOT from DuelistGroundz? (Kidding, ok I should really stop.)

If you answer NO to any of these questions, enjoy your final 4-5 years of fun, because the next 50 are going to suck ass. I'm sick of people telling me that college is required to be successful in life. Really? Then explain why so many college students are having such a difficult time finding a job. For crying out loud, the college degree is the new high school degree. I've answered yes to all these questions and it was STILL difficult for me to find a job, but I eventually got it. I'm making decent bank now. If it took someone like me almost a year to land a steady, stable job, as a double major (Computer Engineering/Computer Science), double minor (Math/Economics), double-Honors student with a Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering, could you imagine how life is like for your typical English major?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to laugh at liberal arts majors. I feel really bad for them. There are so many out there who are having to pay back high-five figure to low-six figure loans from jobs they could've gotten fresh out of high school! And going to graduate school? Not an option for most. The thought of putting even more loans on top of loans is just unsettling to too many.

And what about those lawyers... with their $200,000+ student loans?

http://blogs.seattle...es_may_face.php

Yeah...

Honestly, I'm sick of this system. We're raising a generation of people that are going to be continuously dependent on friends and parents to provide for them until they are WELL into their 40s and 50s. THEN and only THEN can their lives actually start and they start saving up. Not only is my generation going to be worse than the previous generation before us, we will probably go down in history as THE worst generation ever with all the debt that we have piled up from people that try to treat college as another high school and these bastard loan companies willing to get these guys to take the bait.

I had my college paid for all the way up to the first third of my doctorate. I took a double major in Computer Engineering and Computer Science to the ridicule of the sorority girls who would never date a "loser engineer". I became a Graduate Assistant and went through my Master's Degree. I taught classes at the university. I had to pay my dues and knowing that I have to do all this JUST to get a job now... that THIS is almost the MINIMUM to get a job in today's economy of your field simply sickens me to the bone. For those of you with college loans, I feel for you. I really hope life turns out good for you.

To the loan sharks: You can suck on my giant half-Asian [KAKASHIPWNZOR]. You. Didn't. Get. Me. I beat your system. I beat your game. I'm 24. I have a savings. I am debt free. I will be buying a house with my girlfriend when she moves from Minnesota next year. And pretty soon I'll be teaching future students of college to do the same until the piece of [KENNEH]s like you can join our friends at Wall Street in going out of business, or when Main Street riots, whichever one is first.

I don't know why I felt like talking about college loans. I know I've made it. I have a job that makes $70k+/yr. I have a smoking hot girlfriend who makes decent money as a music instructor. This shouldn't be bothering me. But it still is. For some reason, I feel sympathetic to those who have been duped, who never understood what these jokers were trying to do. The loan sharks don't understand that their greed has created a generation of those who are now staying at home with their parents. I am 24, and I live alone. All my friends are aged 28, 29, 33, 22, and 31. They ALL still live with their parents. ALL OF THEM. And they are all unemployed, half of them taking odd jobs whenever they can for spending money for food and clothes.

If that's not the downfall of society, you tell me.

Harpuia reminding you to help control the pet population. Have your jocks and trolls spayed or neutered.

[Part 1 of My top 25 favorite songs coming next.]

Edited by Harpuia, 16 February 2011 - 01:40 AM.

#30 ShadowDemon Retired Administrator Retired Administrator of XeroCreative 4944 posts 3.00 XCB

ShadowDemon

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:51 AM

College debt does indeed bite. I'm done college and have yet to find a job, but I'm not blaming the economy because I myself have been lazy. Even if there aren't any jobs out there I'm not going to find one anyway if I don't update my resume and get it out there, and that's on me. I'm not debt free, but at least I can afford the payments...for now.

Also, I love Ke$ha.

#31 Siyanor Oldies Supreme Master of Post 7830 posts 0.00 XCB

Siyanor

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:55 AM

Wait, there are not-for-profit colleges?

So.. I failed 2 of the requirements. I think. Maybe my college isn't for-profit, but I just assumed it was because I assumed they all are.

#32 Harpuia Ancient One Justitia fortitudo mea est. 2480 posts 65.00 XCB

Harpuia

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:57 AM

Wait, there are not-for-profit colleges?

So.. I failed 2 of the requirements. I think. Maybe my college isn't for-profit, but I just assumed it was because I assumed they all are.

The guide is if it's not in that list of top colleges on Princeton Review, chances are it's probably for-profit.

#33 Siyanor Oldies Supreme Master of Post 7830 posts 0.00 XCB

Siyanor

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:05 AM

Looks like I'd need to buy the book to see those rankings...

#34 redeyeszack84 Ancient One Resident Gamer... ZERO! 8855 posts 6.00 XCB

redeyeszack84

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:24 PM

The biggest issue is that college is the biggest snake oil racket in the world (second only to Democracy). Can it help you? Yes. But only if you know how to make it work FOR you. I mean, you're not going to walk up to a pile of wood with a hammer and in four years of just using said hammer, have built a mansion.

College, if anything, is a very specific tool. Its not the instant fast track to success that people like to think it is. I mean, yeah 30-40 years ago, just GOING to a college was a big thing, but then again, back then alot of people COULDN'T go. So yeah, back then, to even take that step, you had already gotten your ducks in a row and were headed for success, using College as just another tool. Now, its basically looked upon as the next level after Highschool. And if you choose to NOT go, you're viewed as trash. Sorry people, law of averages, there are alot more jobs out there that only require a Highschool or GED, than there are high paying jobs after college. That guy you scoffed at because he didn't go to college? Well, in this economy, its pretty certain that he might be hurting... but he doesn't have a debt that'll haunt him to the grave.

Which big props to you man. I only went to college for as long as I had the cash. I refused to take loans. Mainly because I didn't WANT to go lol My parents just kept pushing, and eventually me out of money, and refusing to take jobs i didnt need, forced me several states from my family and to a better life. COllege drop out and all.

#35 Harpuia Ancient One Justitia fortitudo mea est. 2480 posts 65.00 XCB

Harpuia

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:28 PM

The biggest issue is that college is the biggest snake oil racket in the world (second only to Democracy). Can it help you? Yes. But only if you know how to make it work FOR you. I mean, you're not going to walk up to a pile of wood with a hammer and in four years of just using said hammer, have built a mansion.

College, if anything, is a very specific tool. Its not the instant fast track to success that people like to think it is. I mean, yeah 30-40 years ago, just GOING to a college was a big thing, but then again, back then alot of people COULDN'T go. So yeah, back then, to even take that step, you had already gotten your ducks in a row and were headed for success, using College as just another tool. Now, its basically looked upon as the next level after Highschool. And if you choose to NOT go, you're viewed as trash. Sorry people, law of averages, there are alot more jobs out there that only require a Highschool or GED, than there are high paying jobs after college. That guy you scoffed at because he didn't go to college? Well, in this economy, its pretty certain that he might be hurting... but he doesn't have a debt that'll haunt him to the grave.

Which big props to you man. I only went to college for as long as I had the cash. I refused to take loans. Mainly because I didn't WANT to go lol My parents just kept pushing, and eventually me out of money, and refusing to take jobs i didnt need, forced me several states from my family and to a better life. COllege drop out and all.

To me, that's what makes high school even MORE important if you take that path. There are two ways to get financial aid. Low-earning family or get good grades. So if you're middle-class, you should know the only way to get that aid is...

#36 redeyeszack84 Ancient One Resident Gamer... ZERO! 8855 posts 6.00 XCB

redeyeszack84

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

And if you are going the college route for a realistic hope of it improving your lot (and even then its effect is sometimes minimal), yeah Highshool IS important. Provided you go to one thats worth a damn... that can afford to hire teachers that can TEACH instead of babysit teenagers and collect a check.

But the biggest issue really is this: If you want to go to college, you can go. There is no shortage of easy access to college. All you need is the money. And lots of people just looooooooooove to lend money to the college goer, because one way or another, they'll get you by the balls.

Hate to say it, but money should only be ONE of the factors to get into a college. These community colleges (especially the one I went to) are kinda part of the problem. The admissions lady who came to my school for it flat out said "We don't turn away anyone if they can pay". True, that same school was also in major trouble of losing its acrediation.

But, on the other hand, the bigger and more exclusive Universities also price themselves right out of some people's market. So frankly... Yeah, the system is more screwed up than our economy...

#37 Harpuia Ancient One Justitia fortitudo mea est. 2480 posts 65.00 XCB

Harpuia

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:51 PM

And if you are going the college route for a realistic hope of it improving your lot (and even then its effect is sometimes minimal), yeah Highshool IS important. Provided you go to one thats worth a damn... that can afford to hire teachers that can TEACH instead of babysit teenagers and collect a check.

But the biggest issue really is this: If you want to go to college, you can go. There is no shortage of easy access to college. All you need is the money. And lots of people just looooooooooove to lend money to the college goer, because one way or another, they'll get you by the balls.

Hate to say it, but money should only be ONE of the factors to get into a college. These community colleges (especially the one I went to) are kinda part of the problem. The admissions lady who came to my school for it flat out said "We don't turn away anyone if they can pay". True, that same school was also in major trouble of losing its acrediation.

But, on the other hand, the bigger and more exclusive Universities also price themselves right out of some people's market. So frankly... Yeah, the system is more screwed up than our economy...

And then you have people like me.

Debt: $0. With a Master's Degree. And about 5-6 months' worth of savings thus far. If you combine with my girlfriend we have roughly enough to last us at least a year and change and it constantly grows.

We're also very cheap. Her more than me. I think my expenses alone are $2,000/mo. and hers alone will probably be another $1,500/mo. IF that (because she shares rent/utils with me, I just add the probable increases). And we'll be living VERY comfortably. And since she knows how to cook, our food bill portion will actually be dropping slightly because I'm eating out three times a day right now (don't know how to cook, but she'll have to teach me).

So to survive in any economy is simple. Study smart, work smart and spend smart. Being with someone who is the same and treats you right also helps.

(I was wrong, I found an expenses calculator, and she would actually only take up another $500/mo. if I do as she says on the food thing. O_O)

Edited by Harpuia, 17 February 2011 - 04:53 PM.

#38 Siyanor Oldies Supreme Master of Post 7830 posts 0.00 XCB

Siyanor

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:18 PM

Well, my family is middle class and I DO have full tuition paid, based purely on financial need. What isn't paid for me is living expenses, like housing and food (I COULD live with my parents, I just don't want to commute every day...or more like my parents don't, since I don't drive). It was mostly paid last year, because for some reason FAFSA recognizes the fact that yearly income changes, but doesn't recognize the fact that the previous year is never the current year.

I don't think money should be a factor at all. I'm completely for zero tuition, zero housing costs. The problem with that is the capitalist mentality that "cheaper = lower quality," which is, of course, usually true, but only because we live in a capitalist society that dictates that this MUST be true. If you charge less, you MUST provide lower quality service, which to me is ridiculous. Why aren't I allowed to charge less or even nothing for equal or better service?

Edited by Siyanor, 17 February 2011 - 05:20 PM.

#39 Harpuia Ancient One Justitia fortitudo mea est. 2480 posts 65.00 XCB

Harpuia

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:20 PM

Well, my family is middle class and I DO have full tuition paid, based purely on financial need. What isn't paid for me is living expenses, like housing and food (I COULD live with my parents, I just don't want to commute every day...or more like my parents don't, since I don't drive). It was mostly paid last year, because for some reason FAFSA recognizes the fact that yearly income changes, but doesn't recognize the fact that the previous year is never the current year.

I don't think money should be a factor at all. I'm completely for zero tuition, zero housing costs. The problem with that is the capitalist mentality that "cheaper = lower quality," which is, of course, usually true, but only because we live in a capitalist society that dictates that this MUST be true. If you charge less, you MUST provide lower quality service, which to me is ridiculous. Why aren't I allowed to charge less for equal or better service?

I think that is because otherwise money wouldn't be of real value then. Why have money at all?

But you put up an interesting point on another end. I've always believed that if you had a society were money wasn't valued at all you would eventually wind up with most of us lacking ambition. But if you have a society similar to that of our capitalistic society, eventually you wind up with reinventing the caste system before long, because the haves will separate themselves enough from the have-nots and have-somes that it becomes impossible to leave your "class" in this pseudo-caste system.

Edited by Harpuia, 17 February 2011 - 05:22 PM.

#40 Siyanor Oldies Supreme Master of Post 7830 posts 0.00 XCB

Siyanor

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:24 PM

Actually, money DOES have value, and it's the same as its original INTENT. The problem with capitalism is that it ignores the original intent, which is to make trade easier -- not to make money a requirement for trade.

Edited by Siyanor, 17 February 2011 - 05:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users