Photo
- - - - - 3832 replies to this topic

Create-a-Card Competition

• Please log in to reply

#3781 Ritokure Oldies Friendships of people is the true magic 2502 posts 52.00 XCB

Ritokure
  • Interests:Obscure, Japan-only Action Playstation games, MegaTen, card games and ponies

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:54 PM

Judging will be done today. This will be your last chance, storyteller. ;)

#3782 storyteller Oldies When a story comes to an end... 3365 posts 339.00 XCB

storyteller

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:20 PM

Meh, didn't come up with anything decent, so go ahead.

#3783 Ritokure Oldies Friendships of people is the true magic 2502 posts 52.00 XCB

Ritokure
  • Interests:Obscure, Japan-only Action Playstation games, MegaTen, card games and ponies

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:35 AM

n00b: Quite an interesting design you got there. 7 mana is a lot, and requiring a -1 when it ETBs to be viable is also a pretty hefty requirement. Honestly, it seems like an Akroma's Memorial for monocolor with a upside (being useful all by itself, being able to be reanimated) and a downside (being more vulnerable, requiring the exile, less abilities)... of course, it's almost impossible to play it in multicolored as well, so it's also much more narrow. It's a fun card and it's playable, but not setting the world ablaze, even in casual. 3.5/5

No One: It's pretty much a tweaked Green Archivist... that can't draw lands. This bleeds the color pie quite a bit, and the Green draw dude being almost as good as a Blue draw dude is just... well, wrong. Yes, Green gets a bit of card draw here and there, but never this efficient, and it almost always requires dealing damage or playing creatures. Heck, I don't even need to go so much out there to make this card crazy good - pretty much any Green Monsters deck in Standard right now would play 4s of this in a heartbeat. It's a fine card, and I like the design, but it's waaay too pushed as-is. 3/5

Exclusive: First off... Black Fog effects? Yeahno. Second, the discard can be multicolored, so mana cost aside "Black/Splashed Color" decks can still get some benefit out of this. With that said, I think the power level is just right - "CCC"-costed cards are usually very pushed to compensate for the restrictive cost (read: Geralf's Messenger) and end up warping Standard... this is a solid card that messes the board without being too restrictive nor too powerful, and it encourages bluffing and interesting gameplay. I like it, shame that it gets so much wrong. 2.5/5

I'll give this one to n00b.

#3784 storyteller Oldies When a story comes to an end... 3365 posts 339.00 XCB

storyteller

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:39 AM

nevermind.

Edited by storyteller, 21 October 2014 - 08:40 AM.

#3785 n00bdragon Team XC Alignment: Lawful Cynical 3154 posts 17.00 XCB

n00bdragon
  • Interests:Japan is not a cool country.

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:09 PM

Kewl. Next crit: Reanimator is a cool archtype. Make a card that reanimates a creature (i.e. places it onto the battlefield from a graveyard, for you wording nitpickers). I leave the specifics up to you. Judging will be on Sunday.

#3786 Gerdat14 Oldies Some Dude 2690 posts 159.00 XCB

Gerdat14
  • Interests:Dueling with YVD and playing illegal games with my blanket.. don't ask...

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:01 PM

I can totally take last place on this! BEHOLD!

Imperfect Salvage
6GGBB
Sorcery

Exile all but 1 monster from each graveyard. Place the selected monster on the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it, where X is the number of monsters exiled this way.

"It's like necromancy, but with more recycling the dead and imbuning your own will, instead of them having a will of their own!"
- Golgari Scholar

There we go! A card for too much with a clan restriction and super over powered if it lands. Which it shouldn't. EVER. Yay!

Edited by Gerdat14, 21 October 2014 - 11:02 PM.

#3787 No One Oldies Needs a life 619 posts 17.00 XCB

No One

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:37 PM

Crysallic Rebirth
GB
Enchantment

Imprint — Whenever a nontoken creature dies, you may exile that card. If you do, return each other card exiled with ~ to its owner's graveyard.

GB, Sacrifice: Put a card exiled with ~ onto the battlefield under your control.
--------------
Not directly from graveyard to battlefield, but damn close.

#3788 storyteller Oldies When a story comes to an end... 3365 posts 339.00 XCB

storyteller

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:59 PM

Dragon Blood Serum 1
Artifact - Equipment

Equip only to a non-Dragon creature.
When the equipped creature dies, flip a coin and call it. If you win the flip, return it to the battlefield.
While you control a Dragon, ~ has Equip 0

Equip 3

Edited by storyteller, 22 October 2014 - 12:01 AM.

#3789 Exclusive Ancient One Sir Post-a-lot 491 posts 0.00 XCB

Exclusive

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

Great judging, Ritokure. I feel like it's put me in the right direction.
--------------------

Staff of Necromancy
(5)
Artifact

Pay 2 Life. Put target non-artifact creature with a converted mana cost of 1 or less from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control.

"Don't fear death. Fear the one who commands it."

#3790 n00bdragon Team XC Alignment: Lawful Cynical 3154 posts 17.00 XCB

n00bdragon

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:51 AM

Gerdat14
I'm not entirely sure what's going on here. Do you mean "Choose one creature in a graveyard, then exile all other creatures from all graveyards. Place the selected creature onto the battlefield..." or "Choose one creature from each graveyard. Place the selected creatures onto the battlefield under your control..." or "Choose one creature from each graveyard. Place the selected creatures onto the battlefield under their owner's control...". Either way the same problem a lot of high end cards have, it's simply uncastable. At a whopping ten mana even ramp decks will find this difficult to get to and the return is going to be very iffy. Sure, you get an Emrakul sized monster but that's all it is: Emrakul sized, without any of Emrakul's protections. I hate to say "It dies to Terminate" since that's a pretty bad argument against a lot of beefy monsters but when you have a card like this that screams "build around me" (you absolutely cannot fit this into a deck not centered entirely around casting it) it becomes a valid concern that your entire deck can be thwarted by any sorcery speed kill spell.
2/5

No One
I see what you were going for here. It's a one shot Mimic Vat right? Well, there's two other cards I think are far more relevant to deciding whether this is balanced: Makeshift Mannequin and Courier's Capsule. The function is a lot like capsule and that's important, because capsule is actually a pretty good card. You have to play it as a sorcery, but you can pop it for its effect as an instant. This is just really good when drawing cards, but it's balls to the wall insane with reanimation. That's why Makeshift Mannequin is pretty much one of the best reanimation spells ever printed except for maybe Goryo's Vengeance (which is also an instant, surprise surprise). This is really hard to judge, it's either way too good because you can use it as insurance on your big fatty to return him the instant he dies for a mere GB or steal an opponent's big guy after you kill it, or it's going to be a real dead weight because you pick it up and all your good targets are dead in the grave and you're just wishing the card was a Zombify. The fact that the card makes me think this hard is a good thing.
4/5

storyteller
The flavor on this card is insane and props to you for making it not only grok so well, but for making it work together so well. I like that it plays nice with dragons but doesn't actually require them. The coin flipping mechanic is red hinted which you'll probably be playing a lot of if the deck uses dragons. The only thing I can criticize about this is the mana cost, which is awfully low (though the equip is hefty without a dragon, or changeling, around). See Oathkeeper for related effects (man, I am so getting busted by the link limit today).
4/5

Exclusive
I'm going to assume this says "Pay 2 life: Put target..." in which case it's broken. Absolutely no. Any cursory search of cmc 1 creatures will tell you why this is. I never did think I'd see a Cathedral Sanctifier OTK and the worst part is that's not even really the worst thing you can do.
1/5

I'm going to give it to storyteller. No One put a great card out there but the sheer elegance and narrative Dragon Blood Serum has is too much to resist.

#3791 storyteller Oldies When a story comes to an end... 3365 posts 339.00 XCB

storyteller

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:40 PM

Thanks.
I figured the low cost was ok given that the revival was conditional,
making the equip cost probably not worth paying unless you controlled a dragon.
And I totally forgot about Changelings, as I always do.

Speaking of Changelings, for the next criteria, make a Changeling.

Edited by storyteller, 26 October 2014 - 10:40 PM.

#3792 Gerdat14 Oldies Some Dude 2690 posts 159.00 XCB

Gerdat14
  • Interests:Dueling with YVD and playing illegal games with my blanket.. don't ask...

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

Okay, I can totally take last this time. Let's see here...

Puck, of the Fey Illusionists
WWGG
Legendary Creature - Faerie Rouge

Changling

Whenever another Faerie enters the battlefield, place a 0/1 G/W Rouge creature token named "Puck's Shade" with flying and " Puck's Shade's power and toughness are treated as 4 while during your opponent's combat step" onto the battlefield.

4/4

Been watching too much Gargoyles with Jeff. But it's so good! At least I get a last place card out of it...

#3793 No One Oldies Needs a life 619 posts 17.00 XCB

No One

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:14 PM

Discordant Lands
3(G/U)(G/U)
Tribal Enchantment - Shapeshifter

Whenever a player casts a creature spell, counter that spell. That player puts an X/X Shapeshifter token with changeling onto the battlefield, where X is the spell's converted mana cost.

Edited by No One, 27 October 2014 - 06:17 PM.

#3794 n00bdragon Team XC Alignment: Lawful Cynical 3154 posts 17.00 XCB

n00bdragon

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:29 PM

Shapetwist
XU
Tribal Instant - Shapeshifter
Changeling
Target creature gets +X/-X or -X/+X and gains all creature types until end of turn.

#3795 storyteller Oldies When a story comes to an end... 3365 posts 339.00 XCB

storyteller

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:13 PM

Seems unpopular

Gerdat - Not seeing the flavor. Changelings are all Shapeshifters, I believe (cuz, you know how it's pointless giving it another type when it already has all types?).
No One - Reverse-Dovescape. Is the Token colorless, though?
n00bdragon - Kinda similar to Inversion. IDK about giving repeated, scalable removal with Haakon. Or that fact that it's in blue.

I'll give this one to.... No One.

#3796 Gerdat14 Oldies Some Dude 2690 posts 159.00 XCB

Gerdat14

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:02 PM

Sigh (Various Zombie Noises).

Puck is ripped right out of midsummer night's dream, but given a few more magic powers, namely transformation and flight. He spends most of the show transformed Owen, Xanatos' assistant. Other Abilities included some magical attacks and Storytelling with puppets.

Probably should have done Proteus instead, but i don't know what his technical race is, aside from Changeling.

#3797 No One Oldies Needs a life 619 posts 17.00 XCB

No One

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:41 PM

Yes, the token is colorless. Similar thingshave been done before.

Well, guess I'm taking the wheel this time. That being said, make something of a Maritime Theme. Coastal cities, the high seas, pirates...anything that wouldn't look out of place on the set of Pirates of the Caribbean. Bonus points if it's not mono-blue.

Edited by No One, 03 November 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#3798 n00bdragon Team XC Alignment: Lawful Cynical 3154 posts 17.00 XCB

n00bdragon

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:18 PM

Boarding Party
1RR
Sorcery
If you control three or more tapped creatures, untap all creatures that attacked this turn. After this main phase, there is an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase.

#3799 bobandjim Ancient One Needs a life 987 posts 108.00 XCB

bobandjim

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:52 AM

Seasickness
BB

Enchantment

Creatures get -x/-x where X is the number of islands in play.

#3800 storyteller Oldies When a story comes to an end... 3365 posts 339.00 XCB

storyteller

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:46 AM

Landsickness RR
Enchantment

Blue creatures enter the battlefield tapped and do not untap during their controllers' untap steps.

Lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users